Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this kitchen layout?

(15 Posts)
MrPickles123 Tue 08-Jul-14 19:52:08

Yes, exactly that. We are planning our kitchen/diner extension. Any thoughts on practicalities and positioning of things? I've been staring at it for so long.

There is a built in dishwasher and fridge freezer. There will be a small sofa near the patio doors and dining table and chairs in rest of the space.

Would you move the sink over to be more central? At the moment it's designed like that so you stand in the centre of the gap to wash up. Hob isn't central on the peninsula either due to the beam but not sure that matters confused

Thanks!

justmuddlingalong Tue 08-Jul-14 20:01:14

I think it looks great. The sink looks fine at the window. The hob being slightly to the left of centre gives you more room for plating up and putting down oven trays etc, IMHO.

MrPickles123 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:05:09

Thanks for your input. We are really impressed with this local independent company actually.

My dad thinks the cupboards will be annoying as they'll accumulate dust. Any thoughts on this?

justmuddlingalong Tue 08-Jul-14 20:13:53

Mmm, maybe. Mine are completely smooth, so as to be easily wipeable, but if you like the moulded doors go for it.

Chewbecca Tue 08-Jul-14 20:16:06

Looks good. Is there enough room for the work top to have an overhang that you can pop a couple of high stools at?
(The high stools are the best part of my kitchen, it's lovely having someone drinking a cuppa there whilst I am chopping etc)

MrPickles123 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:19:56

We've wondered about stools and an overhang for a while. I thought we didn't have enough space for them but there is quite a lot of space.

I think I'll work out the gap between the peninsula and wall and see if there's enough space.

Marmitelover55 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:20:11

It looks very nice, but I would worry about hob being on peninsular as people on the other side could get splashed when frying etc. I would move hob over to other side and also agree about overhang and bar stools.

Suttonmum1 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:20:18

I have a reasonably similar layout, with an induction hob. I would put the hob by the wall and leave the peninsula clear. I think it is much safer if you have kids around. Also forms a good serving surface too.
I also have the sink the other way round, so that dirty dishes accumulate nearer the wall, next to the sink.

MrPickles123 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:25:56

With the potential splashing of oil, we originally wanted something like this.

burnishedsilver Wed 09-Jul-14 10:51:06

Id prefer the hob against the wall for the reasons already stated. Also the extractor hood will be considerably cheaper and less obtrusive if its against the wall.

SquinkiesRule Thu 10-Jul-14 18:46:35

We had a peninsular with the hob in it in our last house and an area on the other side for bar stools. We couldn't use the bar stools ever. The kids were too close to the hob. I hated it the whole time we loved there. I wish the hob had been against the wall.

RaisingSteam Sun 13-Jul-14 20:57:33

I'd want more prep space between the sink and the hob. I would agree I think it's an unsafe layout, have the hob on the back wall and the sink handed the other way. It's still a bit confined -could you make the peninsula an island?

RaisingSteam Sun 13-Jul-14 21:00:32

It baffles me, when there are so many horizontal surfaces in the kitchen that accumulate dust, that people get so fixated on a few square centimetres of cupboard doors. Extractor hoods are far worse. Yes, they get a bit of build up on the ledge. Every month or so you wipe it off with some CIF.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 13-Jul-14 21:10:32

Looks lovely, but agree with others and would have the hob against the wall as all the splatters you usually get on your splashback are heading for a part of your floor that looks like a main walkway.

Jonesy200087 Sun 17-Jan-16 00:32:47

Did you go with this layout in the end? We,re thinking of doing almost exactly the same layout, but with the hob against the wall. Do you have enough space?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now