Talk

Advanced search

Flat roof advice

(13 Posts)
NeverHadANickname Tue 01-Jul-14 17:12:22

I need my flat roof re-doing and I've had a few quotes. Does anyone know what the difference is between using a UV paint to finish and using gravel? I've been told it does the same job, is this correct?

Thanks.

Greenrexine Tue 01-Jul-14 18:31:26

Come on you flat roof experts. I need to know too.

NeverHadANickname Tue 01-Jul-14 19:01:16

grin

I told a small white lie in my post, I've posted about some other things which people will recognise and this will probably confirm it's me to them but anyway, needs must.

I really need to know ASAP because the roofer has just finished. He quoted for limestone gravel but painted it instead. When I queried it he said it did the same thing. He hasn't reduced the quote or anything but presumably the paint is cheaper? The quote was quite good so I don't mind paying him full if he's told the truth and it really is just as good.

MillyMollyMama Tue 01-Jul-14 19:29:54

Look at buildingregs4plans.co.uk - flat roof surfaces. Painting does not last very long so chippings are better in my view. The last longer. This web site has lots of details about flat roof construction. You should get what he quoted for anyway!

NeverHadANickname Tue 01-Jul-14 19:37:16

I thought that might be the case, I'm far too trusting! I'll look on the website. I haven't paid him yet because he preferred cheque to bank transfer (!) and I have no idea where my cheque book is since I haven't used it in about 5 years.

If I contact him do you think I'd be unreasonable to say I'll pay half and then the rest when he's put the gravel on? I'll obviously just explain nicely that we would still like the gravel as quoted.

I don't mind confrontation most of the time but if I feel like it's my fault I feel bad!

NeverHadANickname Tue 01-Jul-14 19:37:34

Forgot to say, thanks for replies.

MillyMollyMama Tue 01-Jul-14 20:09:24

I would read about the flat roof construction on the web site and decide what you want. I would pay half and then the rest on completion. If he quoted for chippings, then chippings it is. You are not being confrontational. You are asking for what should be there as he should not just change the specification from what was agreed. Builders are a bit prone to this I have found!

NeverHadANickname Tue 01-Jul-14 20:22:42

It's the first work we've had done on the house by someone not in the family. I did query it with him as he was leaving but he said it was the same.

Thanks again, I'll speak to DH and give him a ring tomorrow.

NeverHadANickname Wed 02-Jul-14 17:46:09

I went to a roof supply place today and they don't sell the gravel stuff any more and only recommend the uv paint. Apparently the gravel is just an old fashioned way to do it. He said we'd need to re paint it every couple of years but a massive tin of paint is less than £20.

LeeGood Mon 30-Oct-17 06:15:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fairylea Mon 30-Oct-17 06:32:41

I’m shocked at repainting every couple of years...! Is that what you’re supposed to do?! confused we have gravel on ours and it’s been done 6 years now, never touched it since and looks and acts good as new.

Oblomov17 Mon 30-Oct-17 06:42:12

Really? Oh dear. Ours has been the same for the last 20 years. And we’ve never done anything to it. hmm

Lina222 Sun 26-Nov-17 17:05:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now