Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Haslemere

(11 Posts)
boythenboy Tue 24-Jun-14 18:24:08

We are seriously considering a move to Haslemere. We currently live in Wandsworth, just off Northcote Road and really like it but have two young boys and are getting fed up of our postage stamp garden and just fancy the idea of a slightly less hectic lifestyle.

The obvious downside is the commute (husband works in the west end of London) and just not sure whether we would regret it if we made the move (and would then find it v difficult to move back because of stamp duty etc).

We love the cafe culture round here and the fact that it is so kiddie friendly, there is always something going on. Does Haslemere have a good vibe and community and is there a decent amount of stuff going on for pre-school/primary children?

Has anyone made a similar move? Are you glad you did it or do you regret it?

Thanks in advance!

flightdove Tue 24-Jun-14 18:25:35

Haslemere is nice. What about Guildford or Woking?

Queazy Tue 24-Jun-14 18:35:44

We're also thinking of a move to Haslemere. We're based in SW London at the moment. I'm in two minds about it for the same reasons you state. The schools are good, the countryside is lovely and they have nice little cafés and shops. I'd much prefer to live in Haslemere than Guildford, but the commute is longer. I lived in Woking years ago (great commute) but not a fan. It's all about what you're looking for though, and I bet both have great facilities and groups for kids. I commute into London, as does DH, so might need to wait 2-3 years and look for a job closer.

Sorry for rambling blush I think Haslemere is really lovely. I love the high street and so anecdotal, but I got such a great feel just from walking around. I'm bit worried it'll be less diverse in terms of people, but also in terms of activities available. Being completely honest, if I lived off northcote road, it would be a tough choice (so lovely too) but will be less hustle bustle further out smile

boythenboy Tue 24-Jun-14 19:04:24

Thanks for the replies. We've fallen for Haslemere after being on quite a few day trips and know a few people there, it seems to have a nice vibe.

Flightdove - we're not too keen on Woking and Guildford feels quite big (although we do like it).

Queazy - we do love living here, have got the kids in a lovely pre-school and have lots of friends very locally BUT I'm not convinced its the best place for older children. Its a great set-up for pre-schoolers and primary kids but perhaps not so great when they are heading towards secondary. And we would really, really love to have a proper garden where we can just open the doors and let them run (rather than having to do a daily trip to the common). So for us its whether we move now (older son is about to start reception), or wait a few years. I think if Haslemere had a good set-up for kids and there was a buzzing community of like minded people, we would make the move sooner rather than later.

lau55 Sun 29-Jun-14 08:00:36

I'm from there (or rather a village just outside) and it was a lovely to grow up in. Well, until I was about 16 and needed more nightlife!! I moved away at 18 and only now at 31, with a child, would consider moving back.

PintOfWine Sun 29-Jun-14 18:14:34

We looked (but were outbid/priced out) and thought there were many lovely houses within 1/3 mile of station, which meant it would take as long as from godalming (we liked busbridge which was a mile uphill from station.)

One thing to note was that it's very hilly, so all the gardens were uphill / downhill. Not that kid friendly.

Panicmode1 Sun 29-Jun-14 20:49:47

3 of the 4 senior partners at my old firm lived there and another good friend is moving from SW11 to a glorious house there shortly....there are fast trains from Haslemere, glorious countryside, v family friendly - we looked but were about 2 million short of what we needed for our ideal house!!

greyvix Sun 29-Jun-14 22:45:27

Farnham's nice- a bit bigger than Haslemere, but still surrounded by lovely countryside. Schools in both areas are very good.

WheresTheHoneyMummy Sun 29-Jun-14 22:55:53

I've lived in Haslemere most of my life, love it here! All the local schools are excellent, tough part is making the decision about which one to choose. We do have a number of coffee shops, can recommend them all! The downside is lots of sloping gardens, still plenty of flat gardens about though. Please PM me if you have any questions, always happy to talk about my beloved Haslemere!

MaryShelley Wed 02-Jul-14 17:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleVenetian Thu 31-Dec-15 12:20:20

boythenboy - I came across this thread and have the same question myself - what did you decide to do? If you moved to Haslemere, how have you found the experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now