Advanced search

Howden Glendevon & Integrated HandleGloss kitchens

(11 Posts)
Pinkfizzy Tue 03-Jun-14 22:34:43

If anyone has either of these, would you mind telling me if the gloss surface shows any signs of bubbling/orange peel effect and whether it is difficult to keep looking good?
I'm very keen & DH isn't as he thinks it may look 'sterile' & show every fingerprint. We will choose by the collective wisdom of MN (no pressure!)

FitByForty Tue 03-Jun-14 22:59:15

We have the Glendevon in Flint Grey and love it. No bubbling or faults with the gloss. It does show fingerprints but only when the sun shines on it grin and a quick wipe with a slightly damp cloth soon gets rid. Microfibre cloths are good.
I did look at the integrated handles when we bought ours but was concerned about stuff falling into the cut away bit. Crumbs and bits I was probably thinking of. We've gone for plain doors with push catches so very plain and sleek. And to be fair, the fingerprints only tend to be on where we push the doors to open.
I love my kitchen. Would recommend!

annalouiseh Tue 03-Jun-14 23:05:04

The Glendevon will/can peel or bubble over time as is a vinyl/foil wrap.
The 'J' shape handle is a painted lacquer so not peel and is a better quality door than the wrap.
If your looking for a handleless kitchen try seeing what else is on the market as the 'J' shape handle has been around for a long time now

kmdesign Wed 04-Jun-14 06:38:16

A J-recess handle is not a handleless kitchen. A proper handleless kitchen is much more complicated than that. Try opening dishwasher and fridge-freezer doors on the J-recess doored kitchens and you will see what I mean.

If you are after a proper handleless kitchen, look at European kitchens. No one does handleless better than them.

Pinkfizzy Wed 04-Jun-14 22:37:58

Thank you all so much! Really helpful.

does anyone else have any info/opinions?

Eg KMDesigns, any particular manufacturers you would recommend? I am really a total novice, and would really like wood or mdf carcasses rather than chipboard.

Thanks again

Littlepicklehead Thu 05-Jun-14 14:39:43

Oh no we are looking at this range and bubbling hadn't even occurred to me.

Over what sort of timeline would this start to appear (if it does?).

BeadyBagsaTella Thu 05-Jun-14 18:53:22

We have Howden gloss handleless in white. No bubbling/Orange peel but does show fingerprints when in direct sunlight. Easy to wipe down though, when I can be bothered! We have had the units for 18 months.

kmdesign Thu 05-Jun-14 20:40:47

Depending on your budget, I would suggest looking at German suppliers. They offer some of the best quality/price combinations in the market. It needn't cost the earth and you will have something that will easily last you 20 years.

Pinkfizzy Mon 09-Jun-14 07:24:09

hi kmdesign,
I've had a look at Schmidt which seemed actually very good compared to Howden's prices. Still chipboard though. Are they blinding me with science when they say that the chipbosrd is much denser & touher than mist, and that their laminate edges are laser glued on to disguise the fact that they are laminate?
I was impressed by the look, the soft closures, the handles etc but I am a complete novice so don't really trust myself...

Pinkfizzy Mon 09-Jun-14 07:28:21

sorry for spellings

In other words, would you name a couple of good European brands as till this weekend, I only knew of the diy shed, magnet/ikea/howdens & expensive Plain English/Smallbone/Roundhouse brands.

Thank you!

kmdesign Mon 09-Jun-14 11:01:59

Schmidt is a good product but I think you can buy similar quality for about 10-15% less. Or a better product for the same price.

Most kitchens are chipboard and the fact remains is that MFC (melamine faced chipboard) is one of the best suited materials for carcases for strength, durability etc.

I dont know specifics of Schmidt kitchen construction so I cant comment, but I wont be surprised that they use laser sealing of their carcase and door edging and this is the most modern and sophisticated way of edging doors and carcases. None of the iron-on or PVC edged rubbish that is the staple of most English kitchens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now