Advanced search

Reduced depth walls/stud wall?

(10 Posts)
oreoswithfriends Tue 03-Jun-14 17:42:23

So, we're having our kitchen redone. The kitchen is at the front of the house. The previous owners put a front extension on the house, about 6m in depth. The extension has three velux windows in the sloping roof and then a normal vertical window which is the kitchen window. The current design is that you walk in through the front door and the long hallway is in front of you and the kitchen is to the left of you - but there is no divide between the hall and the kitchen and essentially behind the front door, when opened, is a kitchen worktop. Hope that makes sense!

Anyway, we are moving the entrance to the kitchen further down the hall and reinstating a full height wall between the hall and the kitchen. The hallway is only 920mm at the point you enter it from the front door. In order to get the wall in, without interrupting the kitchen window, we were going to have a reduced depth wall of 130mm. This wall would be brick/breeze block (whatever solid walls are now made of). The builder has now come back and suggested that we have a wooden wall, comprised of wood, plyboard and plaster - I think the normal term for this is a stud wall.

We are not having wall cupboards along the kitchen side of this wall, only two glass light box shelves. However, is the wall the builder is suggesting going to be strong enough?? - the front door will be opening on to it - so there wont be anything hanging on the hall side, but I just have visions of opening the door and the door handle going through the wall?!

Am I worrying over nothing?!

oreoswithfriends Tue 03-Jun-14 17:42:46

Oh dear, sorry that was a bit long shock

PigletJohn Wed 04-Jun-14 09:58:03

This is an internal partition wall you mean? Not an external wall?

Blockwork will reduce noise more.

oreoswithfriends Wed 04-Jun-14 10:09:54

Yes, an internal wall only. Downstairs between the hall and the kitchen. Noise not really an issue as there will be an open entrance to the kitchen about 4 foot further along.

PigletJohn Wed 04-Jun-14 10:53:11

I'd have plastered blockwork.

It might be that you have wooden floors and the builder doesn't want the effort of building it up from the ground slab, if there was not originally a brick wall in that exact position.

PigletJohn Wed 04-Jun-14 10:56:38


If the builder has recommended a sheet of ply behind the plasterboard, this is modern good practice for kitchens, because it is strong and you can hang cabinets on it anywhere when you change your mind.

burnishedsilver Wed 04-Jun-14 11:22:54

I think it sounds fine. You could put rock wool between the studs to reduce noise.

oreoswithfriends Wed 04-Jun-14 14:41:35

Ah cool - yes, there will be ply and then plasterboard - so that all sounds like it'll be ok. The rock wool looks interesting. Thanks!

treesntrees Wed 04-Jun-14 21:49:22

I had the same worry about a door handle banging on a wall. A springy sort of doorstop fastened at skirting board level prevented the door knob striking the wall.

DreamboatDaddy Thu 05-Jun-14 10:12:56

How wide will your hall corridor be after you put in the internal wall?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now