Talk

Advanced search

Seaside holiday cottage?

(5 Posts)
irregularegular Sat 05-Apr-14 14:49:57

I'm toying with the idea of buying a holiday cottage. Is there anywhere in the south where it is possible to buy a nice cottage (preferably 3 bed) in a nice village near the sea for 250k? Or is that impossible? I don't really know where to start!

mrsnec Sat 05-Apr-14 15:06:41

My parents have just had theirs in Devon valued at around that but it's only 2 bed and has hardly any outside space. I also have loads of family in Dorset and I doubt youd get what you're after there for that budget either but someone might be along in a while who might be able to help with other areas.

irregularegular Sat 05-Apr-14 15:32:13

Lyme regis doesn't seem too expensive.

mrsnec Sat 05-Apr-14 15:38:11

Yes you might be lucky there I don't know it as well as Poole, Bournemouth and Weymouth though but it's just as popular I think. If you are going to use it mostly yourself consider how easy it would be for you to get to and maybe use that as a starting point.

truelymadlysleepy Sat 05-Apr-14 16:20:32

We've done the holiday cottage thing. A couple of things to think about ; if you think you'll go every weekend make it drivable in under 2 hours (preferably less) otherwise it becomes a bind, decide whether you will let friends and family borrow it or if you will rent it out. Peak rentals are, of course, when you'd want to use it ( summer, Easter, Christmas) and finally remember capital gains, council tax & tax on any income.
We found if doable before DC but when they arrived it became a bit if a chore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now