Talk

Advanced search

karndean fitted before or after kitchen cabinets go down

(6 Posts)
Mrsladybirdface Fri 04-Apr-14 14:37:23

That's it really, we've booked in to have it down before but have been told by a builder friend after is preferable!

PigletJohn Fri 04-Apr-14 14:41:27

I prefer it before. Some builders like it after in case they are clumsy oafs who will damage it.

After means it is cut and trimmed so there will be joints for ants and spillages to go down. It may also make it extremely difficult to get appliances out over the lip.

MILdesperandum Fri 04-Apr-14 14:41:28

we had it fitted after as did my parents. The only bit that was problematic was the end board (I mean the side of the cabinet where a run ends if you have one). The floor level changes slightly so if you have anything like this maybe it could be fitted after? Obviously all the kickboards can be adjusted quite easily.

Mrsladybirdface Fri 04-Apr-14 14:46:48

that was exactly his reason! but dh is fitting it so you would hope he wouldn't be too clumsy. We do also have an ant problem but suppose we could always use a sealent round the edges first if we fitted after.

thanks for both your help

SharpLily Fri 04-Apr-14 14:56:22

Fit it before.

1. Pulling any units/appliance/ etc. out over the lip could be problematic.
2. Futureproofing. Should there ever be any need for you or future residents to make changes in the kitchen later on without renewing the floor, the won't be able to.

Daisy75 Fri 04-Apr-14 15:12:59

Agree with sharplilly. We've redone a kitchen recently and had to redo all floor due new layout. Kardeen went down on new floor and has gone under everything! Bumps up price but worth it on the long run I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now