Talk

Advanced search

how many bedrooms ???????

(6 Posts)
lisa85 Fri 04-Apr-14 13:56:09

i have 2 children. my daughter is 4 and my son is 9. i also have a step daughter who is 13. at the moment the girls are sharing despite the age gap cos i would rather that than 1 of them have to share with a boy. i know by law my 2 could still share until my son is 10 but this doesn't seem right to me. if i applied to the housing would they just allow me another 3 bed house or would i be allowed a 4.....if 1 was available?

cestlavielife Fri 04-Apr-14 16:02:38

your daughters can share for ever. so you only need 3 beds one for boy and one for girls .and one for you

PrinceC Fri 04-Apr-14 16:04:10

I think it's unlikely you'd get an extra bedroom unless you live in an area with a lot of available homes.

Also, if you're claiming housing benefit then you'd count as 'under occupying' a 4 bed house. The rule is that two children under 16 of the same sex can share, or two children under 10 can share regardless of sex. So either way two of the children would need to share at the moment.

Floggingmolly Fri 04-Apr-14 16:07:06

Why do you think you'd qualify for a bigger house because you don't want your two girls to share? hmm

NCRegular Fri 04-Apr-14 16:10:45

The two girls have to share. In five years your little one will have a room to herself anyway. I doubt your SD will want to visit as often when she gets older.

LondonGirl83 Fri 04-Apr-14 16:19:08

You won�t qualify for another room until your step daughter is 16. At that point she will be entitled to her own room and your son will be over 10 years old so won�t have to share with your youngest girl.
To be frank, I don�t think you need an extra room. Sharing a decent size double bedroom at these ages isn�t a hardship and many people families make it work just fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now