Advanced search

House renting

(3 Posts)
Lilybet50 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:40:40

My daughter & her 2 children are in rented housing association accommodation & receives housing benefits. If I was to buy a house would she be able to rent it & still claim the housing benefits to pay it.

Bagpussss Thu 03-Apr-14 13:44:27

Speak to the benefits section at the council, they say you can't claim LHA if you rent from a relative, but, if the property has been bought and rented out on a commercial basis before your daughter moved in it might not be a problem.

tribpot Thu 03-Apr-14 13:47:03

Just looking at the Shelter website it looks like it would be possible but potentially quite difficult. I can see why it would make sense for you, though - you get an investment property with a good sitting tenant, and she gets a trustworthy landlord who isn't likely to decide to sell up or evict.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: