Talk

Advanced search

Bifold doors but with steps?

(7 Posts)
3littlebears Wed 02-Apr-14 21:44:25

We are extending across the back of the house about 4m deep but our garden slopes away from the house and is not huge. This means that we cant really build a deck or patio at the same height as the house. We will have to step down between 60-80cm... Every article goes on and on about flow between house and garden but we won't have that level continuity. Has anyone else got this problem and has it worked esp with bifold doors? Or could do a couple of stps down internally from house to extension instead? But is 'flow' (starting to hate that word!) much more important inside the house than worrying about the outside?! Any ideas or opinions gratefully received thanks!

eskinosekiss Wed 02-Apr-14 22:28:46

We had same dilemma, although for us it wasn't that we didn't have enough garden (we had a big garden) but just that we didn't want a deck/patio at same height as house as we had other seating areas and we were keen to 'minimise' the impact of the extension.

So we had the choice between steps inside the house and steps outside the house. We went with steps outside the house, the main reason being that it gave us a nice view of the garden and maxiumum light; if we had steps inside the house, then when we were in the main part of the kitchen, the top half of the bifold doors would be obscured by the difference in levels between the kitchen area and the living area, meaning less light and no views. PM me and I will send you the old rightmove listing to my house so you can take a look!

houseisfallingdown Thu 03-Apr-14 10:26:25

Same here as well! Currently have a couple of big steps down from our pokey kitchen to our tiny garden! We want to extend into the side and put in bi-fold doors and it will either cost a fortune to lower the floor to the same level as the garden and apparently not really a good idea to raise the garden/patio so I think we will have to have steps as well- hopefully we can make a 'feature' out of them!
eskinosekiss- could I PM you too!?

truelymadlysleepy Thu 03-Apr-14 10:56:34

Our architect and builder are insisting we have a step down, I think it's due to drainage and also I was told leaves etc blown in.

eskinosekiss Thu 03-Apr-14 11:12:54

PM'd you House

3littlebears Thu 03-Apr-14 13:42:40

Thanks for the replies. Eskinosekiss, your old house was gorgeous! Why move?! Is your new house even lovelier?! Can I ask where your kitchen was from?! The steps work really well and look good- think we could make something similar work. Thanks again.

eskinosekiss Thu 03-Apr-14 16:21:57

Thanks! Moved for work down south. Yes, it was a wrench, as we had just finished all the work...but we now live in a lovely Victorian farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and we love it even more.

Kitchen from Kingsley Fitted Furniture in Leeds.

Glad you like the steps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now