Talk

Advanced search

Letting agents pushing the boundaries in the contract. Is it wrong?

(15 Posts)
alice93 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:08:26

My letting agents send us texts normally 2 or 3 days in advance of a showing of our flat (we're moving) - although yesterday they gave less than 24 hours notice..
Anyway, on more than 4 occasions they have not showed up. The contract stipulates that they are meant to tell us if they cancels. Now, I know it's, not their fault if the people don't show up. But it would be nice if they let us know and apologise, especially as it's happened about 75% of the time. We also have a 3 month old, so tidying up is still pretty hard when he just wants to feed all the time - so I feel really guilty when I leave him to scream whilst I make the flat presentable for nothing.

My question is, what can I do? Can I tell them they can't show the flat anymore? (Especially as the flat below is identical and the same landlord! And they don't have children at all..)

specialsubject Wed 02-Apr-14 12:15:05

yes, it is wrong.

you don't actually have to let anyone in if it is not an emergency - it is your home. It is helpful of you to let people in for viewings, but you need more notice than that. BTW you don't have to tidy up, people can see past the toys etc.

I bet your landlord doesn't know what is going on. Tell him, and say that this is not acceptable and you need more notice and courtesy. Suggest a viewing slot of (for example) a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon for an 'open house'.

you can say 'no more viewings' if you want. Especially if you are leaving very soon.

jerseypearl Wed 02-Apr-14 12:16:03

They normally have to give you 24 hours written notice. It depends on your contract there is probably a clause in it stating you will agree that prospective tenants can be shown around. If your contract stipulates they have to tell you when they are not coming around I would remind them of this. They will not want a tenant being awkward about viewings. I would also ensure that the viewings take place at your convenience not at theirs.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 02-Apr-14 12:16:52

Yes, just say no to viewings, they can do them when the property is empty. I take either you have given notice or the LL has. They can not legally gain access to the property even with 24 hours written notice.

I don't think your point about the flat below being identical and not have kids is relevant. Why should they be inconvenienced either ?

TheScience Wed 02-Apr-14 12:20:46

I'd say no to viewings if inconvenient, and definitely don't tidy!

alice93 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:30:56

Ah thank you smile Seeing as the place is now tidy for today, and baby is with his dad on a day out, I don't mind today - just find it cheeky! But if they do not turn up, I will let them know (again) that I am not happy with it.
Unfortunately the contract says that I am not allowed to contact the landlord without the letting agents knowledge.. We've had no contact with him so far.
We aren't leaving yet - not till the end of May, although the contract runs out in July (We're both students - so it's practically common law that they can treat us like crap sad )
I feel so embarrassed people seeing my place messy blush

HaveToWearHeels Wed 02-Apr-14 12:31:58

jerseypearl It doesn't matter what is written into the contract. Legally you can deny access, unless as specialsubject states, it is an emergancy. This is even if they have given you notice.
We never advertise a property until it is empty, it is just too much hassle.

allthatglittersisnotgold Wed 02-Apr-14 12:55:42

When I was renting, I got a high volume of requests for viewings, sometimes less than 2 hours notice. I would often say no. Especially as they told me off for having washing hanging out! Errr I live here, where am I meant to put it?

So in the end, I just said no, not without notice ( I was doing shift work at the time as well). They were rather snotty with me about it, but hey.

MrsPear Wed 02-Apr-14 14:28:21

In my last place I had this - I told them it was terms or not all all. My terms were 24 hour notice with a right to say no, not after 7 pm and one of us had to be in. I also had to add that an estate agent should come too as they kept sending people on their own! I asked for pictures to be taken so that none of our personal stuff I.e pictures on display. This might sound hard work but my LL sold in 2 months.

MrsPear Wed 02-Apr-14 14:29:43

Oh and I also told the estate agent this is my home and I live how I want therefore I will not re arrange my furniture to give lifestyle ideas!

specialsubject Wed 02-Apr-14 14:30:47

illegal contract terms can be ignored. You are legally entitled to landlord contact details. The law is no different for student tenants.

you have a VERY dodgy agent.

Beastofburden Wed 02-Apr-14 14:33:36

I would tell the agent that you will not be tidying up again. Because they have abused your goodwill and wasted your time. If that makes it harder for them to let the flat, tough shit. There's nothing in your contract about tidying up.

Or they can agree a single open house day where they show all the propsective tenants round on one day; you will make a special effort for that, and otherwise they will not arrange any other viewings.

Beastofburden Wed 02-Apr-14 14:34:11

weird. your LL contact details ought to be on the contract.

alice93 Wed 02-Apr-14 14:36:34

Oh boy, you have know idea how dodgy they are! This problem is just a minority compared to the hell they have put us through!

Damnautocorrect Wed 02-Apr-14 16:17:00

I had this drove me mental. In the end (can't remember if they were incredibly late or showed up without arrangement) I told them no they'd have to go. The person was there with them to look at the house. It was a bit embarrassing but I'd had enough of their shit communication. Like you say you'll clean and tidy and wait and wait and wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now