Talk

Advanced search

Kahrs Oak Nouveau Snow engineered wood flooring and Lammet

(14 Posts)
skinnyflatwhite Tue 01-Apr-14 17:00:51

We thought we had found the flooring we wanted for our top floor (bedrooms) but our builder doesn't think this is practical and think it might scratch and can't be sanded

http://www.kahrs.com/en/Consumer/Products/Floors/Kahrs-Original/Classic-Nouveau-Collection/Oak-Nouveau-Snow/

and we chose this Lammet one for the living room but again he doesn't think this is very practical.

http://www.goldflooring.com/smoke-cuba-detail

Does anyone have experience?

skinnyflatwhite Tue 01-Apr-14 17:01:33

www.kahrs.com/en/Consumer/Products/Floors/Kahrs-Original/Classic-Nouveau-Collection/Oak-Nouveau-Snow/

www.goldflooring.com/smoke-cuba-detail

ixos Tue 01-Apr-14 17:55:38

You can sand kahrs engineered oak a couple of times, the top layer is thick enough. Not sure what would happen to the white stain though if you did - maybe give them a ring? Having said that - how often are you planning on sanding it?! Presumably it will be a low traffic area. We has Kahrs engineered oak in our kitchen for 8 years (then we moved) and yes it scratched at bit like all real wood will but it didn't scratch horribly, it gave it character and warmth. Never crossed my mind to have it re-sanded, it just didn't need it.

MaryShelley Wed 02-Apr-14 18:23:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Applefallingfromthetree2 Wed 02-Apr-14 20:58:51

We have had Kahrs engineered oak in 2 houses,no problems and never needed to re-sand. The floor in our current house has been down for 8 years with no scratches. They have Kahrs engineered French oak in our local John Lewis store, with all the traffic it gets I still have only noticed a few scratches and it they look oddly attractive.

Love the nouveau snow, may consider it or our bedroom.

I would question the value of the builder's opinion. Does he have much experience of the product?

skinnyflatwhite Wed 02-Apr-14 22:37:46

Mary - I agree but the builder has pointed out that on the same floor we are having an office area where a chair will be, no doubt, rolling back and fore. I know that we need a plastic protector there; I think you would, whatever engineered flooring you had.

I suppose, looking in to the future, if it needed to be sanded, would it still work with the white finish and with the oak smoke finish? I haven't met anyone who has any of these so I really don't know.

skinnyflatwhite Wed 02-Apr-14 22:39:30

Mary, can't find the Moaners website. What's its real name?

LuckyLuckyMe Wed 02-Apr-14 23:00:56

From experience most of the time a builder says something isn't practical it's usually because they don't want to bother with it. What did the builder suggest you use?

skinnyflatwhite Wed 02-Apr-14 23:13:56

When I say builder, he's a master builder and a designer tbh. I know it's not that that the issue of fitting the floor I just think, perhaps, he's been extremely practical.

I would really like to hear from people that have had the Kahrs Oak Nouveau Snow or the Lammet Smoke Cuba flooring. surely some MNs have bought it!

MillyMollyMama Wed 02-Apr-14 23:57:33

Yes. I think I am sitting in my house looking at the oak nouveau snow. It is in my lounge. I say "think" because I know mine is Kahrs and my floor is single strip with the slightly white/grey stain. Looks the same to me. We bought it about 3 years ago so have forgotten the exact name.

Our lounge is not heavily used and we have a big rug. The fitters said to me it could be sanded twice but in reality no-one ever does it. It lasts so long. Ours is perfect. I would just get a decent office chair. Do you need to have one with castors? If you run a chair over it enough it will probably mark. I have ceramic limestone lookalike tiles in our office zone. Totally indestructible. In a bedroom the Kahrs would be fine and I love it in our lounge. I have oak in another room and have never sanded that in all the 17 years it has been down. I think you are worrying about something you will never actually do.

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 10:08:34

Thanks for that insight MillyMollyMama.

MaryShelley Thu 03-Apr-14 18:44:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrendelsMum Thu 03-Apr-14 22:05:32

We're wondering about getting it ourselves, but in a heavily trafficked room.

We did actually see it used in a hotel (we think!) and it seemed to be standing up well.

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 23:26:10

GrendelsMum - that's interesting. Would you mind pm-ing me with the hotel's name as I'd quite like to speak with them and check out what they say. (Is it the Kahrs or the Lammet wood that they were using?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now