Advanced search

Planners - rules on converting equestrian outbuildings?

(6 Posts)
chelseamorning Tue 01-Apr-14 14:46:52

We're hoping to buy a property with outbuildings in the New Forest, and hopefully to convert some of the buildings to holiday lets or accommodation for my father.

Can anyone please give me an overview of what is allowed/not allowed in the New Forest? I know the rules are vast and vary enormously and so we will appoint a planning advisor nearer the time. However a rough guide while we are looking for a property would be really helpful.

I have noticed on the web that people have converted weird and wonderful spaces for holiday accommodation, but suspect some of these may not have planning approval?!


NigellasDealer Tue 01-Apr-14 14:48:37

i would have thought you would be better off asking the local planning dept tbh

Eve Tue 01-Apr-14 14:48:48

The new forest is now a national park and have incredibly strict rules, I know a lot of people have a lot of issues.

I cant tell you what is/isnt allowed, best chat to the council planners and park authority first.

chelseamorning Tue 01-Apr-14 16:45:21

Obviously we will speak to Planning. However, in my experience (living in the Chilterns), Planning will only speak to you about a specific property.

I would like to be better informed as we haven't found a house yet, and our purchase will be heavily influenced by the ability to add value and an income to the property.

skaen Tue 01-Apr-14 18:21:43

You could try and find a local planning consultant and ask them for general advice.

Eve Tue 01-Apr-14 19:51:34

you can search previous applications by area and see what has been approved/ refused.

The NFNA are somewhat 'strident' in their views.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: