Talk

Advanced search

EA gave us false info

(5 Posts)
Yvonne99 Tue 01-Apr-14 09:54:21

We saw a house we loved however were not sure if it's concrete or not, which is crucial for us. So the first thing we asked the EA was what the house was made of. He replied by mail saying it's brick. We made an offer, some negotiations and were accepted.
Lenders survey picked it up and it's a concrete bricked up. It makes a difference to us. The surveyor is waiting for some guarantees and other reports.
I am so angry with the EA and if the survey goes ok and we get a mortgage we want to renegotiate the price. We are also considering pulling out.
Solicitor paid, survey paid and silly EA is a lier.
Can you please advice on how to approach the EA??

jerseypearl Tue 01-Apr-14 10:21:20

Sadly that's what a survey is for. The estate agent will probably say they didn't lie as it has bricks over the concrete. You cant rely on the estate agent for much they are there to work for the vendor and to sell the property. The rest is up to you, your solicitor and surveyor. I would wait for the rest of the reports and then make a decision. Best of luck

MrsKoala Tue 01-Apr-14 12:46:01

I doubt the EA actually intentionally lied, more they assumed it was brick and told you it was. Without a survey how would the EA know? Perhaps the owner didn't even know - i doubt i would! This is why you should always get a survey first before you progress with the sale - especially if this is the kind of thing that is important to you.

If i was the vendor i would probably not renegotiate the price. And i doubt the EA will care that much even if you do or whether you do 'approach' them. They will probably just think you are a bit bonkers for caring.

May i ask why it is you care so much? I have no knowledge of the difference between brick or concrete i'm afraid.

Crutchlow35 Tue 01-Apr-14 13:19:28

The EA will have taken instructions from the client so it is the vendor who is at fault, not the EA. We don't go round taking harling off buildings just to be sure what construction a house is. As a poster above says, that is what a survey is for.

Only certain lenders will lend on properties not of standard construction and concrete will come into that.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 01-Apr-14 13:28:32

The EA are not surveyors and probably had no idea.
Maybe, they are accountable for not saying so.
If it was me and I didn't like the thought of concrete I'd pull out as surely whatever price reduction is no good if you are that against it and it makes a difference to you.
Its a hard one, you tell them you want a reduction due to this, but it will be valued as a concrete construction. I can't see them budging far tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now