Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen layout - is it ok to put the oven next to the fridge?

(12 Posts)
FlyLikeABird Mon 31-Mar-14 13:08:40

I'm looking to re-do the kitchen but would like to change where the oven is, there is a perfect space for it if it could go side by side with the fridge freezer. I'm sure this used to be a no-no but I've seen it in a lot of kitchens recently. Are these just better insulated now?

Any advice?

Shesparkles Mon 31-Mar-14 13:10:25

Mine are side by side with no issues . Fridges don't give off the heat that they used to as they're just more energy efficient and better insulated.
My kitchens been this way for 7 years and there haven't been any issues

FlyLikeABird Mon 31-Mar-14 13:25:54

Thanks shesparkles I've only had access to ancient knackered old kitchens so this is music to my ears!

I'm going to get measuring grin

Gemdar Mon 31-Mar-14 13:41:22

We've got the same and kitchen designer said its not a prob these days with modern white goods

FlyLikeABird Mon 31-Mar-14 15:22:19

Thanks Gemdar, I like a wall of appliances so glad I can go ahead smile

RuddyDuck Mon 31-Mar-14 17:30:08

We have a built in ff next to our built in oven. I was a bit confused when kitchen designer suggested it, but it works fine.

MillyMollyMama Tue 01-Apr-14 00:57:06

Personally I would not like it. Is it built in? Also you will have no work surface on one side of the oven which I think is unfortunate. However modern appliances are insulated and technically it is no problem, just does not look that good. Is there no other place for the cooking zone?

Lagoonablue Tue 01-Apr-14 08:22:35

Mine is as like that when moved in. It isn't a problem. The oven is insulated so I hardly notice any heat coming off the side next to the fridge. Am guessing fridge also insulated

Yvonne99 Tue 01-Apr-14 10:05:27

we got it like that but put some extra insulation.

invicta Tue 01-Apr-14 10:08:29

I think I read somewhere that the best layout is a triangle with the sink, cooker and fridge, if that makes sense.

LondonGirl83 Tue 01-Apr-14 12:49:56

There is no technical problem with the appliances being close together. Usually, designers try to make sure that the major appliances are at least 4ft apart from on another (measured from the centre of the appliance). Its also recommended that you have at least a 18 inches either side of the oven and fridge as work surface / a landing zone. However, you know your layout so if you think this would work best then go for it.

kmdesign Tue 01-Apr-14 19:14:48

No problems with ovens next to refrigeration. Just make sure that you get a vent grille in the plinth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now