Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where can I actually see some aluminium folding or sliding doors?

(21 Posts)
MaryShelley Mon 31-Mar-14 10:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Itscoldouthere Mon 31-Mar-14 11:25:28

Best advice I can give is to go to Grand Design Live I think the London show is coming up soon. It's really worthwhile as many of the larger companies show there and it's good to compare .
We found a small company there many years ago who made us a set of beautiful oak framed folding sliding doors.
We are now in a different house and are about to have two large sets of sliding aliminium doors fitted, we went and looked at grand design last year to help us decide on frame thicknesses etc although we are having them made by a small local company rather than one of the big contractors.

TheVictorian Mon 31-Mar-14 11:48:04

Can the public buy magnetic locked doors ?

MaryShelley Mon 31-Mar-14 17:30:19

toomuchtooyoung Mon 31-Mar-14 17:36:12

kloeber have a showroom in sunbury near Kingston

audrey01 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:38:54

We had aluminium bifold doors installed last year, and we went to view the frames and talk to different suppliers at the Home Improvement Show in Earls Court last October. We also made the trek all the way to the showroom of a local supplier in SW (Express Bifold in Redhill, Surrey) as we decided to go for Schueco frames, and needed to discuss our project needs in more detail in order to get a quote. Express were one of the many suppliers we approached for a quote, in the end we went with another company who was able to give us a more competitive price.

ShakkaKhan Mon 31-Mar-14 18:48:34

National self build and renovation centre is pretty good. It's basically a permanent trade show, near Reading. You can phone to get a list of exhibitors

MaryShelley Mon 31-Mar-14 20:15:26

audrey01 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:14:10

We went with Schueco in the end as our builder highly recommended them as being very good quality in previous projects he worked on. If Express Bifold is near you, you should definitely visit their show room and ask to see the ASS70FD, which is the bifold door they usually supply. The frame and the locking mechanism should be the same, I think, regardless of who supplies the door. In terms of finding Schueco door suppliers, you can submit a general enquiry on the website of Shueco UK and Schueco-approved fabricators near you will contact you for more details. We got an answer from 4-5 companies and based on their preliminary quotes, we shortlisted two and tried to get the best quote we could. Don't forget to document everything they agree to or promise, especially leadtime from order to delivery (window companies notoriously ovepromise on that and always fall short). Good luck with your project!

Selfbuildadvice Wed 02-Apr-14 09:52:08

Don't battle the crowds at those big home shows, go to The National Self Build & Renovation Centre (NSBRC) which is open six days a week and just off Junc 16 M4. It's got a number of sliding door manufacturers on display plus there's an expert on-hand to give you the right advice for free! You're not 'sold to' and you can take your time to make the right decision. Visit their website www.nsbrc.co.uk for all the details.

skinnyflatwhite Wed 02-Apr-14 17:04:08

MaryShelley - hope you don't mind me butting in. I'm in the same position and trying to find showrooms. I'm in Middlesex and am going to see the Kloeber showroom but they don't have a sliding door on show at the moment!

NSBRC is too far away.

Hoping that someone else will see this and suggest showrooms for aluminium sliding and sliding/folding doors.

toomuchtooyoung Wed 02-Apr-14 17:39:40

have to say I did like the kloeber products but was put off the sliding doors by the restricted opening you get.

skinnyflatwhite Wed 02-Apr-14 22:40:30

oh no (toomuchtooyoung) what did you get then? Restricted opening doesn't sound good.

Selfbuildadvice Thu 03-Apr-14 09:28:45

How about trying The Folding Sliding Door Company www.foldingslidingdoors.com, apparently one of the UK's leading manufactures/suppliers. On their website they've got a drop down menu of all their showroom locations, hope this helps!

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 10:06:17

Selfbuild - thanks. I've tried to contact them before and they actually don't have showrooms where they say they have on their website. All sounds a bit strange so I didn't pursue that.
Thanks anyway

toomuchtooyoung Thu 03-Apr-14 11:28:37

was going for their standard size bifolds, cheaper than bespoke sizes, until I read in another thread about nordan (I think) sliding doors, where they slide on the outside, and further than standard sliders.

still not sure though....

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 11:29:46

My DH is interested in Norden too. Reckons they might be good as they are Norwegian so probably good insulating properties.

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 15:02:22

Just found out that Nordan doors are aluminium on theoutside and wood on the inside of the door - so that's out for us. Back to the drawing board.

If anyone can recommend a showroom to look at aluminium sliding doors, please do.

MaryShelley Thu 03-Apr-14 18:24:23

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 18:28:37

What did you see in Guildford MaryShelley? Anything interesting?

skinnyflatwhite Thu 03-Apr-14 18:29:15

oops, sorry see it was Sunflex. I will google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now