Talk

Advanced search

Is this slightly fishy, or am I paranoid with disappointment?

(12 Posts)
StainlessSteelBegonia Sat 29-Mar-14 15:37:18

We've been watching the listings in our target area for over a year and are registered with several estate agents (not with every branch individually, but certainly with all the main brands).

Last night around 8pm I received a property alert for EXACTLY the house we are looking for. We were very excited and planned to ring first thing this morning.

When I looked at the listing again this morning before 9am, it was under offer. I rang the agent, and he refused to tell me anything - just that the first viewer offered immediately and was accepted, and that if anything went wrong with the sale he'd let me know.

I am feeling quite sad. After a year of looking, it was the most exciting house I'd seen.

Am I being unfair to think it all seems a bit dodgy? Part of me is wondering if someone working for the estate agency (or a mate) has bought the house themselves, especially as they were so tight lipped about it. sad

Rumplestiltskinismyname Sat 29-Mar-14 15:39:37

Is it in an area where property is moving quickly? If so, then it is likely that they may have shown it to someone who has a property on the market with them- in order to compete a chain. Remember- agents look after their clients first!

Rumplestiltskinismyname Sat 29-Mar-14 15:40:45

And what more did you expect the agent to tell you. They will not usually tell you the price as this is outside most agents code of conduct.

lalamumto3 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:44:47

I would put a note through the door explaining that it is exactly the house you are looking for and ask to be allowed to view. Good luck

Bowlersarm Sat 29-Mar-14 15:44:59

You need to up your game. Make sure you go into the estate agents offices and get to know them, and them to know you so you are the first person they contact when a suitable property comes up.

Bowlersarm Sat 29-Mar-14 15:47:58

It's probably not dodgey at all. Just a quick moving market.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 29-Mar-14 15:55:03

All it probably means is that by the time the email went out to you and everyone else on the mailing list there had already been someone who had called in at the estate agents, been told about it and viewed it immediately.

They then put in an offer just after the email went out to you.

i would ask the estate agent to tell the seller that I was interested anyway, regardless of whether or not an offer had already been put in by someone else.

After all, they may see the possibility of 2 interested parties trying to outbid each other and be swayed by £££s before their eyes. On the other hand they may be happy to deal with the one offer they've got for a quick and easy sale especially if that buyer is a straightforward one eg. no chain, mortgage offer in place or cash buyer

StainlessSteelBegonia Sat 29-Mar-14 16:10:47

Fast moving market - depends on what you'd consider fast. I am selling my house in SE London, which is on fire at the moment (as another thread on here is discussing). We're looking at moving to a popular area, but - as a result of watching it for as long as I have - I know that well-priced houses with potential can move in a few days, but I've never seen anything go quite that fast. And that market is nothing like as fast as the one I'm in.

By contrast, my house was marketed online for a week, 20 viewings were scheduled over a Saturday (when most people view), and the EA compiled all the offers at the end of Monday. We have seven offers on the table, of which the top two are being verified before we make a decision on which to accept. So it's taken a good few days since viewings/offers for us to accept the one we're going with. This other place has not been through any sort of comparable process, unless viewings actually started before the property was marketed yesterday evening.

I do understand that EA's look after their own customers first. That's one of the reasons why we went with our EA, but although our agent is affiliated with this other brand we still didn't hear about this particular house before it was shown/sold in its first viewing.

Monkeymummy1 Sat 29-Mar-14 17:54:35

I agree with what someone else said, put a note through the door. Or better yet, knock and speak to them. It does seem odd to go from marketing to sold and not taking any more viewings so fast. Or, if you made an offer they are required to pass it on to the seller. Might not be something you could consider without having viewed it but it could at least get some attention. You would think they would be pleased to have lots of interest!

Monkeymummy1 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:00:42

Or the other think could be of they are just re-marketing to try and kick their chain into action but they already had a buyer. We've been caught out 3 times with that!

Bowlersarm Sat 29-Mar-14 18:02:13

Maybe they have got lots of interest. Maybe they've got a buyer with several back up offers, and the vendor isn't interested in having anyone else view.

You could either speak to the agent again and register your interest in that particular property to be put on the file. You could put a note through their door, but I don't honestly think that will lead to anything. If I were the vendor, I would just refer you back to my estate agent.

StainlessSteelBegonia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:34:12

Thanks, you've given me some food for thought. I'd be surprised if they're re-marketing, though - they would have had to have been on the market or under offer for at least 18 months, or I would have seen the house before. I really have been watching the area for a VERY long time while we were considering whether we wanted to move. (I know what you mean about remarketing though Monkeymummy, we've expressed interest in a property that's in exacty that situation: however, the EA we spoke to in that case was very transparent about what was happening and why.)

Bowlersarm, I'm not surprised they have lots of interest TODAY, the marketing only started at 9:30 last night (now that I've checked the timestamp on the email). Granted different EAs operate differently, but my house went online within 12 hours of us approving the copy & photos, so there was no time for viewings prior to marketing by anyone other than the agents themselves.

I did actually consider putting in an offer this morning - it's a bit of a pain without viewing, but the house and plot are exactly what we're after. Maybe I'll end up doing that anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now