Talk

Advanced search

Mahogany floor / oak doors

(7 Posts)
schmalex Fri 28-Mar-14 09:50:54

We've just bought a new house with mahogany (I think?) parquet flooring in most of the ground floor. It also has relatively new and good quality oak internal doors.
We definitely want to keep the parquet. But do oak doors go with a dark wood floor?
We also now need to replace the banisters/posts as the stairs are not safe as they are. But should they match the doors or the floor?
WWYD?

HaveToWearHeels Fri 28-Mar-14 11:13:57

I personally wouldn't want oak doors and mahogany floors. Is the floor stained mahogany, could you sand it back finish to match the doors ?
I would do the banisters and spindles to match the doors, depends on what you are doing with the floor really.

WetAugust Fri 28-Mar-14 11:52:25

I had to opposite - lighter oak floor than dark mohogany stained doors. They definitely clashed so I painted the doors white. It's much lighter looking.

schmalex Fri 28-Mar-14 15:26:41

Hmm...not sure if the floor is stained or what would happen if I sanded it!

I don't really want dark doors as I think it'll make the place too dark. But I agree, they should match really. Gah...

HaveToWearHeels Fri 28-Mar-14 15:30:56

could you scrap a little bit away from a corner to try and see ?

WetAugust Fri 28-Mar-14 16:03:59

i doubt sanding the floor would do any good as the wood has probably been stained, in which case the wood dye will have penetrated (unless the wood is real mahogany which, due to cost, I would doubt, and even if it was you'd still have a mismatch of woods.
I have medium oak floor and teak furniture which is OK but the mahogany coloured doors I had were just too much of a contrast.
Stairs to match the doors, as the floor may one day be covered with a carpet.

schmalex Sun 30-Mar-14 16:11:04

Good point wetaugust, it does make sense to match the doors.

I will try and sand a block back to see what's underneath... Fingers crossed it's something light!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now