Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on fireplace installation?

(3 Posts)
Pending Fri 28-Mar-14 09:06:48

We're renovating a Victorian property, quite modest in size, and we're struggling with how to deal with the fireplace in the lounge. Currently it's just a small opening in the chimney breast. It has the original fire back, but one fireplace-shop owner looked at a photo of that and said it would have to come out as it would be bound to be knackered.

We fancy a cast iron insert, either a combination or with a wooden mantlepiece. Costs appear to be high.

I gather we'll need a HETAS installer, extra ventilation (we could put vents in the wooden floor boards), a bigger hole to put the fireplace in, and probably a few other things I haven't thought of.

Just to add: the results don't need to be amazingly fuel efficient. The house is very cosy anyhow - we just need to finish off the room.

Anyone else had a fireplace installed and able to offer any insights?

We're near Exeter.

Massive thanks in advance!

ghostinthecanvas Fri 28-Mar-14 16:04:41

The insert is as expensive, maybe more, as a stove. You need to get the chimney lined too.
we went for traditional cast open fire. Prices start at around £400. Fitting was close to £1000. We worked out that the fitters got £62 an hour shock
I like that, when the fire is not lit, we can close off the chimney with the damper that cast irons have. This means that on the days you don't light your fire there is no heat loss up the chimney from your central heating.

Pending Fri 28-Mar-14 22:13:25

Thanks Ghost. Will bear that in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now