Talk

Advanced search

Gravel that is not painful to walk on?

(6 Posts)
eskinosekiss Fri 28-Mar-14 08:53:15

Does anyone know if there is a particular type/size/grade of gravel that is bearable to walk on barefoot? We currently have a gravel driveway that we would like to extend to the path around the side of the house and outside the back door. But in summer we tend to walk around the garden barefoot and the driveway gravel is 'ouch-oooch-hobble' gravel.

Are there different types?

upupupandaway Fri 28-Mar-14 09:02:43

I'm afraid that unless you oft for 20- 40 ml gravel/cobles they will hurt, especially the broken up sort like cotswald stone. Thought about slate chippings?

addictedtosugar Fri 28-Mar-14 09:03:17

We've got some big, rounded stuff that isn't too bad bare foot.

I wonder if you need to look at rounded stuff - I remember the paths at my grandparents was awful for walking on barefoot, and that was all sharp edges. So the stuff we have could be due to size or shape...

Sorry. Not much help!

PossumPoo Fri 28-Mar-14 11:22:33

I grew up on a dirt road with a gravel drive-way and the truth is, by the end of summer your feet will have toughed up to be able to run on that gravel! grin

MyAngels Fri 28-Mar-14 11:51:45

Our solution to this problem was to bed some flagstones in the gravel path like stepping stones.

eskinosekiss Fri 28-Mar-14 16:58:33

MyAngels you are genius! I don't actually need the stepping stones, but I could get one large flagstone outside the backdoor so I can get on to the grass. Thereafter I don't need to use the path unless leaving the house, in which case I'll need shoes on anyways. Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now