Talk

Advanced search

Aldershot 2014 - please tell me what its like? particularly if you live there

(12 Posts)
MrsPassmore Thu 27-Mar-14 15:45:08

Hi
We are relocating. Considering Farnham but also for reasons of costs Aldershot, central, near ish to the station.

is it on the up?

I have a ds aged 8 going into year 4 for next year to find a school for?

MrsPassmore Fri 28-Mar-14 12:04:25

Bump anybody. Even if you don't live there

homefarmer Fri 28-Mar-14 14:10:18

Farnham is lovely, but, as you say v expensive. Aldershot is cheap for a reason and I don't really think it's on the up unfortunately. I live in Godalming, which is great but expensive nowadays.

TheBitterBoy Fri 28-Mar-14 14:12:27

I wouldn't recommend it. How about Fleet, Farnborough (parts), Ash Vale, Frimley? Depends on why you need the station and where you need to get to.

FloralPuddles Fri 28-Mar-14 14:20:22

It's been a few years since I've been to Aldershot but I grew up in the Farnham area and I'm afraid to say I would never choose to live in Aldershot based on my impression /memories of it. Sorry op.

MrsPassmore Fri 28-Mar-14 16:46:24

Ok thanks as I suspected but not as I hoped
Appreciate your candour
Farnham it is thengrin

indieakka Fri 28-Mar-14 17:00:59

Fleet would be a good option, cheaper than Farnham (although still pricey I guess). Or somewhere like Southwood would possibly be a cheaper option again, but still close by. Elvetham Heath is a relatively new, large housing development just 'off' Fleet, and seems lovely. And Zebon Copse is a longstanding residential area at the Farnham end of Fleet.

regardsfromme Fri 28-Mar-14 17:52:03

There is going to be another large housing estate built near to Zebon Copse in the next couple of years, which is going to create an awful lot of traffic around that area and a squeeze on school places, not to mention the great big housing development that's just been built nearby at what was Quetta Park.... The whole of Fleet/Church Crookham is becoming one large housing estate I'm afraid.

Ash and Ash Vale would get you into Ash Manor secondary school when the time comes, which is Ofsted outstanding I think. Or south Farnham gets you Weydon, also outstanding, but very pricey that side - North Farnham cheaper but the local secondary school (Heath End) not quite so popular, although not bad either.

MrsPassmore Sat 29-Mar-14 07:10:16

That's helpful. I've canceled my viewing. Thx

MSSD Tue 15-Apr-14 20:45:38

Hi all

We moved to aldershot in November having lived in Brixton and west dulwich, London. To be honest we moved for the house. We just could not afford anything in like this in farnham and other areas like fleet, ash etc were just to far from farnham. Aldershot station is well connected. It is not ideal and we do not have a decent pub in walking distance but are happy here. We do though have row hill copse and the ranges in a short walk which are fab. We use these a lot. We live cranmore lane end do potentially the bast part of aldershot. The town is indeed pretty awful but has everything you need. The cinema complex is decent and although full of chain restaurants much appreciated. We are 10 mins from train to farnham or 20 on the bus. We worried moving to surrey about lack of diversity but there is a lot in aldershot with the gurka population. The local catholic school is outstanding and local catholic secondary is too. Heathend has an improving reputation. If we had the money we would have bought in farnham but in fortunately not, we are though very happy here. Please private message me if you want any more info on alder not so shit.

apryce Mon 19-Oct-15 11:37:58

Been living in Aldershot since August.

A few points:

It is a pleasant place to live
The town centre needs a face lift
You would not live here for shopping
The West of town is quite nice
The Catholic schools are outstanding
It is an earthy town
Not seen any anti-social behavior
Rowhill Copse and other walking areas are great
I would move here all over again

Bhabs00 Fri 20-May-16 13:02:36

Hi anyone living in Aldershot please help? I am planning to relocate in Aldershot just because of the house price, as could not afford one in farnborough, frimley. I am a bit worried about the environment, hoping to move around woodwalk development area in north town aldershot. The house price is cheap for some reason there, considering the house is only 10 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now