Talk

Advanced search

Is it crazy to put washing machine upstairs?

(27 Posts)
PennyJennyPie Thu 27-Mar-14 15:06:41

I'm from a country where the washing machine typically would be in a separate laundry room downstairs or in the bathroom. DP is from a country where it would be normal to have a separate laundry room upstairs. Both of us find it slightly weird and unhygenic to have the washing machine in the kitchen.

There is no poss to have a separate laundry room downstairs.

We are doing a loft conversion. We plan to move the boiler up under the eaves anyway as it is where the new stairs will be. Would it be crazy to also move the washing machine and dryer upstairs in the loft conversion? This is our forever home so have no plans to move for the next 20 years so not too concerned about what a future buyer would think.

Naoko Thu 27-Mar-14 15:10:38

Not at all, at least not to me - I am from a country where washing machines and dryers are frequently placed in lofts! grin

specialsubject Thu 27-Mar-14 15:11:01

Anyone who lives in a flat has the washing machine off the ground floor.

however you'll be lugging wet washing downstairs to put it out on the line.

tess73 Thu 27-Mar-14 15:12:48

It is common in America
But they tumble dry everything
So they ask why would you bring all the dirty washing downstairs to wash it and lug it up again!

tess73 Thu 27-Mar-14 15:13:50

Only thing to think about is noisy washing machine at night if kids/you sleeping... Easy to work around that

ThePartyArtist Thu 27-Mar-14 15:29:40

I've lived in a flat where the upstairs neighbours had a washing machine (above our kitchen) and it was awful! Even though it was at the back of the house, it'd wake me up in our bedroom at the front. The first time I heard it I actually thought it was a motorbike on the street! It may depend on the architecture / model of machine, but generally I'd say being near the foundations of the house would be much less disruptive!

wimblehorse Thu 27-Mar-14 15:36:00

I looked at a house where they'd converted an upstairs toilet into a laundry cupboard, with w/m & dryer stacked on top. If you tumble dry most things it makes sense...

INeedALieIn Thu 27-Mar-14 15:36:13

I wanted an upstairs laundry room when we built our house. I was persuaded against it.

Fast forward 5 years and we have converted a walk in wardrobe in an unused bedroom into a laundry room. Washer, drier, clothes rails and ironing board permanently up. I love it.

However, I don't put anything on the line to dry. I mostly use airing racks infront of a sunny window, and from time to time the tumble drier.

I wish I had stuck to my guns initially and had the laundry room upstairs from the beginning.

Our previous utility room is now a boot room which I also love.

Go for it.

Sleepwhenidie Thu 27-Mar-14 15:39:42

Ours is upstairs in a laundry room near all the bedrooms, much more convenient than downstairs. I'm very happy with it there, I don't run it at night, though sometimes put it on the delay timer so it starts early morning and doesn't get to spin cycle til we are all up and about. The only time it was a PITA was when we had a leak as of course it affected the room below. But no different to someone in being in a flat above someone else, they have washing machines too!

specialsubject Thu 27-Mar-14 16:02:07

tumble dryers use loads of electricity, which may be expensive where you are.
drying washing indoors wrecks houses.

of course you might be in a humid place where there's no choice but to use a dryer. But if not - washing needs to be on the line whenever possible unless you are made of cash. It is also a bit 'stuff you, planet' to use dryers when there is free sunshine.

gamerchick Thu 27-Mar-14 16:07:00

I'm wracking my brains trying to think of why a washing machine in the kitchen might be unhygienic.

I don't think I would want one above me... noise and occasional leaks might annoy but I suppose it's up to you where you want it OP.. its your house.

Kefybaby Fri 28-Mar-14 06:43:56

I am with you, OP, and about to do the same.

LtEveDallas Fri 28-Mar-14 06:48:42

When we were house hunting we looked at one house that had a single bedroom we didn't 'need' - if we had bought that house then we would have converted that bedroom into a laundry room with washer, drier and permanent ironing board etc. I was actually pretty excited by the idea - it made perfect sense to me - clothes off and chucked in there at bedtime, no need for laundry baskets, everything on the same floor for washing drying ironing and putting away.

Timpetill Fri 28-Mar-14 06:50:48

It's unhygienic in a kitchen because you're sorting soiled clothes in the same space you prepare food. I like a separate room so I can sort things in piles on the floor, but I live in a place where upstairs rooms are far less common than single story homes, so it's all on the same floor for me grin

Eastpoint Fri 28-Mar-14 06:53:50

We moved ours upstairs in the autumn & it is so much easier. It is on the same floor as the children's bedrooms & in a cupboard in their bathroom which is not used while they are at school. I dry my clothes on a clothes horse & everyone else's in the drier (I protect my bras, sports wear, 'naice' underwear, jeans etc). It's much easier to put clothes away.

spotty26 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:41:29

Upstairs is the way forward. Love it. Plus a few sisters from Dunelm and a Sheila maid.

spotty26 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:50:17

Airers! Not sisters!

CanadianJohn Fri 28-Mar-14 18:03:38

You can buy a large "tray" for the washing machine, to contain any drips. I'm not sure of the capacity, or if the tray has an overflow drain.

www.floodsaver.com/

JodieGarberJacob Fri 28-Mar-14 18:04:14

I can't believe I've never thought of this! Trying in my head to design a new kitchen with part of it partitioned off as a utility room and I've got 2 spare bedrooms upstairs! Doh!

About how much it would cost to plumb in a washing machine upstairs?

clam Fri 28-Mar-14 18:12:29

Pretty commonplace in the US. Makes sense.

LondonGirl83 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:37:42

We put ours up there. Keeps the house tidier but then again, I don't line dry outside very often. We have a dehumidifier in the utility room that works really well.

spotty26 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:52:36

I reckon only £100 as just taking a waste into an existing outlet. Is your bathroom nearby?

JodieGarberJacob Fri 28-Mar-14 19:06:47

Yes, the bathroom is next to the bedroom I had in mind. That's brilliant, thanks.

AnnabelleDarling Fri 28-Mar-14 19:09:16

I have an upstairs laundry cupboard. It was a small unused space, just enough room for washing machine with dryer stacked on top. It is fab, no more trailing clothes up and down stairs.

PennyJennyPie Fri 28-Mar-14 20:11:18

Wow, thanks for all the answers. We tumble dry everything except DPs shirts since we live in pigeon land (and our neighbour feeds the disgusting things...whole other thread...)

I suppose I just wanted to hear what people say about noise since I'm afraid the entire terrace will shake when the spin sets in! Also about the risk of leaks so thanks for the link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now