Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours complaining about noise in water pipes. WWYD.

(6 Posts)
zoodle Mon 24-Mar-14 10:44:39

I rent out a property I used to live in. Yesterday i got a call from the neighbours saying there is a loud noise inside their house which happens when our tenants turn water on and off.

Neighbours have experimented with turning taps on and off and apparently it is definitely coming from my house. But our tenants have heard nothing. It's very frustrating we don't live there so can't experience it ourselves.

Neighbours are very concerned something is going to blow and flood their house. But I've called my plumber and he reckons it is either water hammer or pipes rattling, neither of which is serious.

Should I a) get my plumber round to have a look at a reasonable rate?
B) say to neighbours that we have taken advice, think it's nothing serious and that if they are still concerned they get their own plumber round and if anything needs to be done we will fix it. At possibly neighbour's plumber higher rate.
C) do nothing as our tenants are not affected.
D) something else?

MrsSteptoe Mon 24-Mar-14 10:48:07

I think if I were your neighbour, I'd probably want you to fix the noise, even if my mind had been set at rest re possibility of flooding... if they're nice but not assertive neighbours, they might be reluctant to ask you to fix the noise problem?

Fontofnowt Mon 24-Mar-14 10:53:08

If you can sort it for a reasonable cost it will be worth doing to keep things pleasant.

Mintyy Mon 24-Mar-14 10:58:12

Of course you should get your plumber round to have a look! Why are you even asking? You can't do anything just because your tenants aren't affected and you don't live there.

zoodle Mon 24-Mar-14 11:04:41

Thanks. Will do.

daisychicken Mon 24-Mar-14 11:13:10

We had a similar problem but it was a resonance from the ventilation fan in the bathroom that our neighbour could hear but we couldn't - it for us, took a simple adjustment of the housing. So I know having a plumber round will cost you a little but if it solves the problem and keeps neighbourly relations good (you never know when you might need their help/understanding) is it not worth it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now