Talk

Advanced search

Easy to clean kitchen diner flooring?

(9 Posts)
SilverSixpence Mon 24-Mar-14 10:06:01

Can someone recommend me a nice floor in kitchen. We are messy and have a 1 yo who throws everything on the floor so can't have floorboards like the rest of downstairs. Thinking of Karndean or polyflor in limestone effect. The polyflor feels rough and I am worried all the dirt will stick to it! Don't have any Karndean samples but from what I remember it is smoother and more wipe able. Kitchen is pale grey with Greeny blue tiles. Not sure about wood effect as it might look odd if rest of house is floorboards.

MillyMollyMama Mon 24-Mar-14 10:27:02

We have ceramic tiles which look exactly like expensive limestone. They are in 4 different sizes and clean amazingly well. You could look at Amtico which would also be good and there are plenty of options to complement your other flooring. Having had both, I prefer the tiles. I would also consider slate. Try not to get it too 'riven' so it traps dirt but the colour variations would look great with your kitchen colours. We have a bronze/blue slate for a fire hearth and it would be great for your kitchen. We bought it as an end of line so was cheap! Mandarin Stone or Fired Earth would be a starting point.

Ihatemytoes Mon 24-Mar-14 10:54:39

Marmoleum is fab. It's easy to clean, warm underfoot and cpmes in lots of different colours.

Ihatemytoes Mon 24-Mar-14 10:55:25

www.forbo-flooring.co.uk/For-Your-Home/Products/Linoleum/Marmoleum-tiles/

PETRONELLAS Mon 24-Mar-14 10:58:12

I've dark quickstep laminate. It looks lovely but shows up everything. Karndean would be my preferred replacement. Tiles were very unforgiving to dropped toys and bumped heads.

horsetowater Mon 24-Mar-14 11:03:40

Wood laminate is really easy to clean. It's cheap enough and easy to replace if it gets too grubby or scratched.

SilverSixpence Mon 24-Mar-14 11:21:46

I prefer rectangular brick style tiling to square tiles so karndean won't work for us I think. Not sure if tiling will be more expensive than laying a subfloor for karndean but found someone who has given a very good price for fitting karndean or vinyl so tempted to go with that (also for warmth/softness). Marmoleum looks nice but again only squares

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Mon 24-Mar-14 11:23:54

Amtico comes in rectangles

SilverSixpence Mon 24-Mar-14 11:48:12

Just found you can get 12x18 karndean in York stone and bath stone - would they look ok with grey units? Colour is french grey by Little Greene. Sorry for poor lighting these are from Instagram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now