Talk

Advanced search

Do you prefer packing or unpacking?

(16 Posts)
cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 08:01:45

I really don't know! I'm moving on thurs and I'm surrounded by stuff/boxes and about to scream.

I think unpacking must be better but am I kidding myself?!

Longdistance Mon 24-Mar-14 08:04:37

Packing is better than unpacking.

We still have stuff in boxes from our move from Oz, and that was in October confused

ToFollowJulie Mon 24-Mar-14 10:44:03

I'm going to disagree and say unpacking! We moved a month ago. Packing was awful and I was in a permanent state of guilt about how much stuff we had. Unpacking was fine - deciding where everything should go and thinking about how we were going to live in the new house was much more fun.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 24-Mar-14 10:44:53

Unpacking - the excitement of deciding where everything is going to go. A whole fresh start.

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 24-Mar-14 10:46:32

Unpacking!

We paid for packers but I don't feel the need to pay for unpacking. It would be too overwhelming.

cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:02:52

Thank goodness your mainly agreeing with me! I'm hoping unpacking will be better. I'm now hating packing up.

cooper44 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:00:12

mmm i hate to say it but I think the packing is easier - I almost went insane unpacking about 70 boxes after a house move at Christmas - in fact there are still boxes all over the place that I can't even face opening.

cupcake78 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:09:44

Glad you mentioned 70! Were onto 50's. Removal firm seem to think that's a lot. I don't think its too bad for a house with 2 young dc!

hyperspacebug Mon 24-Mar-14 14:34:49

I have moved dozens of times.

Packing = stressful because there is a deadline to finish packing, but unpacking - no deadline and you can cherrypick which box to unpack from to make house look nicer.

Unpacking all the way for me.

Sunnyshores Thu 27-Mar-14 20:29:29

unpacking is better, in the sense of how boring and time pushed you are - but unpacking is stressful because you want to unpack boxes and have beds made, cook dinner, clean up..... and you cant find a bloody thing!

lessonsintightropes Thu 27-Mar-14 23:20:33

I adore unpacking. I have moved maybe 15 times (maybe a couple more than that, hard to keep track!) and the unpacking process for me is inextricably linked with turning some random room in a shared house/flat/house all over the world, my version of home. I've got (for daft reasons like the china shepherdess in the Little House on the Prairie series of books) a few pieces of art and sculpture and tapestry that make the newest place instantly like home. I love the slightly revelling in it fun of working out how my kitchen is going to work and thus what goes where. Less fun is the inevitable 'this piece of much loved furniture does not work at all in this new house' thing.

lessonsintightropes Thu 27-Mar-14 23:21:27

World, into my new home that is smile

whereisshe Thu 27-Mar-14 23:28:49

Both are awful which is why wine is required for both! But neither lasts forever. Just keep muttering "this too shall pass" to yourself, that kind if bloody-mindedness is what gets me through moving house.

Notyetthere Fri 28-Mar-14 07:46:11

I have only moved once and I enjoyed packing. We were moving from a flat to a house and the excitement to there was what kept me going. The prospect that we were moving to a new area, new life was what made excited about packing.

However, I also think that if you are downsizing then packing could be difficult as you normally have to be brutal with the decluttering.

I started packing immediately after our offer was accepted which meant that we packed about 3 boxes a day after dinner while we watched the news/eastenders/etc. There are things that you won't need for a while so start with those.

whereisshe Fri 28-Mar-14 10:22:15

Wow, Not, only once! I'm jealous. I've moved 10x in my adult life thus far (once internationally, which is much worse than normal) and that was on top of moving 5x as a child. Sigh.

Babiecakes91 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:12:57

I'm in the middle of moving from a flat to house and I can't wait to unpack as this weekend alone we have ripped out units painted everywhere which all need redone due to the old owners horrible taste meanwhile our flat looks more like a storage unit. I just want our house perfect and everything in its place as my ds who's 2 and had autism isn't liking the whole process so he's at his grans until we are done on Thursday and I want him back in his room with his toys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now