Advanced search

Properties that are under offer?

(29 Posts)
corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 02:37:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 02:40:08

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Sun 23-Mar-14 07:19:15

Ring the agent and explain your circumstances and ask for news on the house.

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Sun 23-Mar-14 07:22:44

You can ask how certain the sale is and ask if you can look round the house this weekend if there is any suspicion the sale might fall through.

cupcake78 Sun 23-Mar-14 07:25:21

Under offer doesn't mean sold. It means that a sale is working its way through. Sometimes it falls through and the house comes back on the market.

Call the agents and tell them how much you love it. Ask them to ask the owner if they are still open to offers. If so then you can try to Gazump the original buyers.

dozily Sun 23-Mar-14 07:28:04

The estate agent can refuse to show you around, however they are obliged to pass on an offer to the vendor if you make one.

However gazumping is pretty unpleasant.

Maybe you could ask the agent what stage the sale is at - if the sale was only agreed in the last couple of days it's obviously not as bad as if the buyer has already forked out for a survey.

mrscog Sun 23-Mar-14 07:28:20

We offered on a house recently but we hadn't sold ours. As a result the agents said the house could only be listed as 'under offer rather than sold' and it would mean the vendor would still accept viewings if they wanted to. I spent a week terrified we might lose it and then just as we got a buyer some deal breakers cropped up which meant we had to pull out anyway!

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 23-Mar-14 07:28:29

On the other hand if you're in the UK as a cash buyer ready to move you could save tens of thousands on purchase price, so rent money could be money well spent.

I don't accept other viewings once solicitors are instructed. The buying/ selling process is a big investment and costly. It involves trust by both parties and commitment to the process.

What about leafleting in your chosen area explaining your circumstances and offering to buy ate market value no hassle if people want to move without estate agents fees?

LIZS Sun 23-Mar-14 07:29:40

It is up to the vendor whether they consider further viewings during the offer period. Some will close the door as soon as an offer is accepted, others will keep it on the market and allow gazumping.

NotJustACigar Sun 23-Mar-14 07:31:24

Please don't gazump some other poor sods just because you're finding house hunting difficult!

Bambi75 Sun 23-Mar-14 07:59:27

Agree. Gazumping is a really unpleasant thing to do. Call the agent and tell them you'd be interested should the sale fall through but in the meantime look for another house.

corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 08:16:57

corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 08:17:46

Octopusinabunchofdaffodils Sun 23-Mar-14 08:23:18

Whether or not it's OK depends on the circumstances. I bought a house that had an offer for slightly under the asking price. The vendors had waited 6 months for their prospective purchasers and they still hadn't sold their house so couldn't proceed. Because they had waited so long the agent agreed to arrange the viewing despite having stopped marketing the property, luckily for me they had left the for sale sign up.

Bowlersarm Sun 23-Mar-14 08:30:12

If my house was under offer with a completed chain, I wouldn't want the agents to keep showing new people round.

Sometimes when a property is newly under offer, the vendor is happy for other viewings just until it becomes more secure and has progressed along a bit.

It isn't in the agents interests to keep showing a property once it has gone under offer. They are wasting their time, in effect, and need to concentrate on the properties which need buyers.

If I were you I'd register my interest in those properties you like which are under offer with the agent, so should anything go wrong with the sale you'll be the first person they call.

corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 08:33:25

Bowlersarm Sun 23-Mar-14 08:40:42

Maybe it's been put on line for their own advertising purposes (look how many properties we have under offer, potential vendors),or they had space they needed to fill on their site.

I assume it is still progressing or the 'under offer' tag would be missing? But yes, OP, the best thing to do is ring and find out the position.

Good luck!

LIZS Sun 23-Mar-14 08:52:14

It may even just be a technical glitch as to how it has reappeared online . Most properties aren't taken off unless at the vendors expressed request until the sale has completed and agents like to show they are active and achieving sales to gain more business. It may simply be that they refreshed their online entries and this is the same sale as before.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 23-Mar-14 08:56:25

What i mean by getting money off is that if your in a position to move quickly you can snap up the repossession and auction type properties which are often a right place right time kind of thing. Often these properties barely make it in the estate agents window before an offer has been made on this property of x,y,z notice goes up. It isn't quite as simple as gazzumping either in these circumstances because the selling parties wont always accept other offers, unless a significant variation, if the sale appears to be proceeding.

My last house was originally on at 400k, we viewed at £250k and purchased for £130k. £400k was overvalued significantly. The house had belonged to an old lady whose family were also very old and lived on the other side of the world. It became very run down and paperwork was very much what you see is what you get.

Most people with a high percentage mortgage couldn't touch it because questions couldn't be answered. We were able to seek reassurances by being in the area, talking to neighbours who'd been there for several generations and then proceeding to buy without legal answers. We did get all boundaries and things established with neighbours agreements post sale. We went on to renovate and sold due to a change in circumstance more than covering cost, with all paperwork in place.

Our current house was a divorce settlement. We remortgaged our last one (once we had all our paperwork) to be cash buyers and went in low - just over 10% off asking price but were able to offer to move at the sellers fast pace. Similar properties have gone for much closer to asking price.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 23-Mar-14 08:56:47

I'd ring and ask. But in my experience here it doesn't make it onto Rightmove until a few days after the for sale board goes up, by which time it certainly can be under offer when things are selling fast. Round here things have gone in 24 hours on occasions.

The agent still tends to put them up on Rightmove though as they are cautious until the survey has been done from what I could make out and sometimes to advertise how quickly the house has gone under offer.

When my Mothers house went on just before Christmas the Agents got on the phones, lined viewings up very quickly and it went under offer in 2 or 3 days. It then fell through on survey, went back on and there were 5 offers over the space of a couple of weeks as we didn't accept the first. If we had it would have gone under offer again before making it on Rightmove.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Mar-14 09:07:38

Corduroy IME putting it back on the market as under offer often means the purchasers are being slow. The vendor does not want to back out of that sale, but does want another offer to beat the purchaser with.
By all means view and make an offer, but be very aware you are probably being used to make a sale move faster and will not end up in the house.
There are two agents in my town for whom this is a very common if unpleasant tactic. Somewhere would have to be an amazing bargain for me to consider it in this situation now.

Hemlock2013 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:17:37

I personally think guzumping is awful. When I offered on a house recently it was with the condition that the house was taken off the market immediately and no further viewings allowed. To stop this kind of under hand behaviour. Like someone said further up thread, buying is an expensive process and it's an investment even whilst the house is 'under offer'.

CelticPromise Sun 23-Mar-14 09:19:31

Definitely call the agents, find out situation and and ask to be notified if it falls through. My house was under offer for weeks but buyers failed to get their mortgage after waiting weeks (not waiting for mortgage is what makes you more attractive as a cash buyer!) We put it back on (for more money, market has risen since we accepted offer) and we now have a new offer. It's not unusual for sales to fall through for all kinds of reasons.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 23-Mar-14 09:35:32

We have always made an offer on a house as conditional on it coming off the market and no further viewings being allowed. Why wouldn't we want to protect our position? However an estate agent is legally obliged to infirm the vendor of any offers they receive, even after the house has gone under offer / taken off the market. Eg someone who viewed previously might decide to make an offer, or someone who knew the area and was content to offer without a viewing.

corduroyslacks Sun 23-Mar-14 09:48:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now