Talk

Advanced search

Guildford 4 bed detached

(10 Posts)
workneverends Sat 22-Mar-14 20:08:32

Hi all

I am new to this site so I apologise in advance for using the wrong wordings etc.

For the last year we have been looking quite desperately for a 4 bed detached house (garden, offstreet parking and it doesn't even have to be in a great condition, just liveable as we can work on it over the years) in Guildford (max 30 minutes walk to town so Charlottesville, Merrow, Abbotswood area) for RGS/GHS/Tormead etc

With a budget of around £650k we thought we were in a strong position to buy (no chain), however with low stock and increasing number of buyers we have seen our offers ignored (sometimes the vendors have regretted not taking us up but that's another couple of sad stories) and what our amount buys has been diminished yet our budget cant be increased.

Do you know of any particular properties? Or hints/advice from anyone would be appreciated

Thanks

Dededum Sat 22-Mar-14 21:00:47

Well you should be able to buy something in Charlottesville for £650k but the houses are not huge and tiny gardens. I think you are going to struggle with detached 4 bed in central Guildfrd. There is one on in my road but it is out of your price bracket by about 200k.

You are probably going to have to compromise somewhere. Have you looked in Burpham? However you are then competing with George Abbott catchment which makes them desirable.

mothersdaughter Sun 23-Mar-14 13:20:47

Yep, I'm afraid to say the £650K won't get you what you would like in Central Guildford. You are looking at more towards £900K. (Terrible, I know)

By the sound of your post you are going down the private route, so catchments are not an issue.

What about Onslow village? here

mummytime Sun 23-Mar-14 13:33:33

My house needs work, is in your desired area, but I would expect at least £900,000 for it. That seems to be at least the price ones in Pewley Way are going for.
You do realise you are competing for people who want to live in the catchment for George Abbot?
This is possible but it is very close to the railway line (nice area I used to live there). or this?

Lots of people with children at RGS, GHS or Tormead live in places like Normandy where you get more for your money.

Bunbaker Sun 23-Mar-14 13:42:19

shock at those prices. Houses like that would cost under £400,000 round here - South Yorkshire.

mummytime Sun 23-Mar-14 13:59:24

Bunbaker - I know, and if we could live in Yorkshire or Rutland or lots of places we would.

Bunbaker Sun 23-Mar-14 14:29:41

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in, but I am literally gobsmacked at those prices.

Dededum Sun 23-Mar-14 15:10:15

I know the neighbours next to that house in Foxenden Rd, very nice and agreed nice, very central area with lots of families. Is the railway the branch line for London Rd station? Mummytime, I still think you are me!!

Agreed, Onslow Village could be doable.

Good luck

workneverends Sun 23-Mar-14 21:40:07

Thank you all for the useful information

What I will do first is see in the next 2 days if we can extend the finances to £700k but I don't have much hope for that (£650k is still a lot of money)

I have viewed the Foxenden property, the location is great and the interior is large but parking is not suitable for our needs hence we are prepared to look a little further out.

Secondly if the finances don't work, we will look further out or go for a 3 bed detached (with space to extend).

Finally, if you know any private sellers, PM me, and we can discuss this

Thanks again

mothersdaughter Mon 24-Mar-14 12:58:28

Hi OP,

Just to say, this is what you need to pay for the type of house you would like in the right location. You really are better off looking at 3 beds I suspect.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now