Talk

Advanced search

conservatory floors

(7 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Mar-14 18:30:40

Never had a conservatory before so need advice on options for flooring, to replace the drab lino floor that's currently in the house I'm (hopefully) buying.
I wouldn't want wood as too expensive and there is enough wooden floors in the house.
Something durable but not too cold underfoot (so no stone, I think), and easy to clean too.
I've heard that vinyl is trendy - any good? or a wood engineered floor? Not sure what Karndean is, but also sounds like it's popular. I wouldn't mind a bit of pattern on the floor.
Doesn't need to be extra hard-wearing as there are no small dc.
TIA

fedupandfifty Thu 20-Mar-14 19:08:29

I have vinyl. You can get some nice ones. Wood likely to warp, carpet a no-no and stone too cold imo.

beaglesaresweet Thu 20-Mar-14 21:00:23

thanks, fedup. Are three different types of vinyl, and wehichone would you recommend? Also if its matte, is it stain resistant? how do you clean it? agree with all you've mentioned about other flooring.

Lucylouby Thu 20-Mar-14 21:51:17

We had carpet in our conservatory at the old house. It was a special one for conservatories as I remember. We were told you couldn't put underlay down and it had a really short pile, but it did the job and was warm to walk on.

MillyMollyMama Thu 20-Mar-14 21:55:58

I would not do anything until you have lived there for a while because no amount of "warm" carpet is going to help you live in a freezing conservatory. It might be better to instal underfloor heating and use ceramic tiles. This actually works!

Madmog Fri 21-Mar-14 08:49:32

Ours has terracotta tiles, which are wearing well after 19 years but not warm under foot. If I was ever going to put something on top of them, it would be carpet.

fedupandfifty Fri 21-Mar-14 09:09:13

I must admit I wish I'd thought the conservatory heating thing through better. I've got a tiny rad, which is completely ineffective and pointless. I wish I'd thought of underfloor heating as an option.

My vinyl floor is quite cheap, at about 12psqft, grained and matte. It's a bit of a bugger to clean, but my conservatory gets filthy. Yours may not get so filthy.

Imo the best thing about vinyl floor is the fact that it's easier to lay, and can be cut, making it a less Labour-intensive option than other forms of flooring. I suppose the same could be said of carpet. If you get fed up you can simply pull it up. I'd do it again, and even consider it in living rooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now