Talk

Advanced search

Flooring for extension

(7 Posts)
Monkeymummy1 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:55:57

We are in the process of buying a house (an Edwardian Semi) which we plan to extend and totally redecorate. It's currently stuck in the 1970s but there are thankfully some lovely original features. The extension is a single story extension out back which will create and open(ish) plan kitchen/dining/living space. The current livingroom will be knocked through into the extension and has original floorboards which I really like, but for the extension (which will be the dining space) and the kitchen space (which currently had really old laminate tiles) I also want to put in wood flooring of some type. Since it's open plan how would you handle the join between the two types of flooring? Or would I need to just forget the original floor and get new flooring throughout so it flows? Or would it be better to do a totally different type of flooring in the kitchen and dining space? The kitchens that I'm drawn to look good with wood floors but I might need to rethink. Any ideas or suggestions?

LizzieMint Thu 20-Mar-14 12:09:13

We had an extension built which goes across the back of the house and has a big folding door into the lounge. The lounge already had oak flooring, we bought exactly the same flooring again for the extension. However, because we kept the folding door and therefore the track, there is a 'split' between the two floorings. And although the flooring runs the same way, there is a slight offset between the planks because of the different sizes of the rooms and to be honest, it drives us mad! If we were to do it again, we'd probably have all the flooring relaid together. It's a tiny thing, but it's enough to annoy us.

3littlebears Thu 20-Mar-14 14:01:39

I have a similar dilemma ; we have beautiful (well, it could be under the scratches and mud!) parquet flooring in our existing downstairs. we are extending and I am loathe to rip it up but I think it will be really hard to match. I was going to get a professional floor company to give me an idea re using reclaimed blocks but I still think it will be obvious that it is different. I definitely want wood rather than a contrasting tile floor; would it look daft to have a completely different wood floor adjoining the old, or should I try to match? Would appreciate any advice or photos from anyone who has done this! sorry for thread hijack...

Monkeymummy1 Thu 20-Mar-14 15:59:00

That's exactly what I'm wondering too! Would two types of wood ajoining look weird? Or maybe I'd have a strip of contrasting flooring in the join between the original house and the extension and then put a modern wooden floor in the extension so that the different wood is not touching. Don't know if that would be better or worse!

GillTheGiraffe Thu 20-Mar-14 17:24:31

I also have the full width extension at the back of the house, that opens into the back garden.
Carpet is impractical due to muddy feet (human and feline).

I tried laminate but someone left the outside door open, the rain got blown in and the laminate started blistering.

The extesion adjoins a room that is engineered oak. I tiled the extension in an oak plank porcelain tile and used a wide oak threshold strip to join the two rooms. (The grout looks very white in the picture but that's the camera flash).

I wouldn't risk real/engineered wood in an area that opens to the back garden.

LizzieMint Thu 20-Mar-14 18:14:17

Our flooring is engineered oak and opens to the back garden, we haven't had any issues with it (extension 3 years old). We just have a coir mat at the door. And my children are very messy/wet/muddy!

MillyMollyMama Thu 20-Mar-14 22:24:51

I think it will be extremely difficult to match or join. I would go for a new level wood floors throughout and you could choose a plank width and finish which is similar to the old one in the existing lounge. You could also have problems with levels of floor between new and old. We had many headaches over this. It gives a better look to have consistent flooring. I would only consider keeping the original if it was superb oak parquet or high quality oak, not pine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now