Talk

Advanced search

what can we do with a fireplace that doesn't involve a fire?

(4 Posts)
Kveta Thu 20-Mar-14 05:58:22

We have a fireplace in our house which the previous owners ripped everything out of when they left (out of spite according to them, they didn't want us to have their cheap tiles, bizarrely).

The house is very warm with just central heating, and we do not want a fire or a stove. But we do want to keep the mantelpiece for our clock and very few ornaments!

So we are not sure what to do with the fireplace. We are discussing lining oit with tiles and leaving it stove ready, but just having some giant and ridiculous ornament in it, but not sure how absurd it would look!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks smile

shoom Thu 20-Mar-14 07:31:26

Search for "decorate non-working fireplace" on the internet or pinterest.
www.houzz.com/Non_working-Fireplace

Have shelves, store books, attractive logs, framed photos, flowers...

Kveta Thu 20-Mar-14 17:21:20

ooh! thank you so much, some fabulous ideas there! I'm VERY tempted by the concept of boarding it up and covering the board in chalkboard paint for the kids to play with! Now just to convince DH...

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 20-Mar-14 17:27:21

I saw a good picture once of one which was boarded up and had a book rest on it, so you could display a big atlas or picture book. I wonder if in reality, that would be too low down to really turn the pages and look through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now