Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen a cheaper version of this Smallbone kitchen?

(11 Posts)
Toospotty Wed 19-Mar-14 15:58:17

I adore this kitchen. I am not very rich. Please help me find a cheaper version.

www.smallbone.co.uk/collections/kitchens/metropolitan

WhatWillSantaBring Wed 19-Mar-14 16:18:07

Handmade kitchens - use door/drawer styles D1 and DR1 here - get tulip wood for the units you want to paint and beech for the unpainted units www.handmadekitchens.com/choose-your-wood here

Get your handles from here

Pick you paint

et voila!

caroldecker Wed 19-Mar-14 16:25:04

Ikea do a very similar one

pootlebug Wed 19-Mar-14 19:00:10

How much cheaper? Higham would still be handmade and high quality but considerably cheaper than Smallbone. They use the same fitters as Smallbone too I believe.

MrsJamin Wed 19-Mar-14 20:53:35

Does this look similar? www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchens/milton-sage/details/

Toospotty Wed 19-Mar-14 21:54:26

Thanks, all.

I've read a lot of conflicting reports on Ikea kitchens on here and elsewhere and opinion seems to be split, but my builder is very opposed to them as he thinks the quality is poor so I'm not inclined to go for them.

I adore the Higham's stuff and have asked for a price list.

I've got a quote from Handmade Kitchens Direct already - are they the same people, do you know? They look very similar.

The DIY kitchens one is like the other inframes from the Howdens/Benchmarx type places. It doesn't really set my heart alight but it's OK. Maybe it's just the colour of the Smallbone one I love. Also no grain, which the cheaper doors seem to have.

WhatWillSantaBring Wed 19-Mar-14 22:53:18

I think they're the same - not sure why they have two websites though. We got our kitchen from them - in the sale and it worked out about £8k v the equivalent from Neptune at £15k (very big kitchen!).

Toospotty Wed 19-Mar-14 22:58:42

Yes, my quote is roughly similar for a big kitchen. Did you find that the quote you were given ended up being what you paid? Obviously excluding fitting.

WhatWillSantaBring Thu 20-Mar-14 07:49:23

Probably about £500 extra for bits I didn't think of (cornicing, end panels, waste pipe and the like). Fitting and painting are costing me another £3k, plus appliances on top.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 20-Mar-14 08:18:43

fired earth do a similar one ! still not describable as cheap ! but I would imagine cheaper than Smallbone !

Toospotty Fri 21-Mar-14 19:58:51

Hmm, yes, Fired Earth is possibly still at the expensive end!

Thanks, Santa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now