Talk

Advanced search

Moving south from manchester, is London affordable?

(22 Posts)
Darkchocolatedigestive Tue 18-Mar-14 21:37:15

I seem to just be going round in circles thinking about this and I,m hoping someone out there can wave at me madly and point me in the right direction. I moved up to manchester ten years ago for my dh's job but have always hankered returning south where my family are and I love London. Our eldest is nearing secondary school age so we really have to make a decision. Our life here is very happy, nice house in nice neighbourhood, but my husband works away a lot and I do get lonely. do I make everyone move just for selfish reasons and if so, can I afford anywhere in London with four bedrooms, a garden of reasonable size in a nice area and good state schools for £550,000 or is that just laughable? And if not London, where? Help!

Briony32 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:43:39

We just bought for under £500k for a 5 bedroom house. Ex local authority. Not the most beautiful but we are trying to give it a facelift. Good area, good schools. Not London proper but near enough. We are north Surrey. I don't think your budget will stretch to a period property. Try Walton on Thames, West Molesey (or East/West Molesey borders), Shepperton, Hersham, Kingston, Surbiton. Rightmove is your friend.

Darkchocolatedigestive Tue 18-Mar-14 21:56:45

Thanks Briony. I grew up round there and know bits of it. I have right moved vaguely but probably should make a more organised effort. Is there no chance of being more central?

householdchorewhore Wed 19-Mar-14 01:22:54

You could live in one of the outer boroughs OP.

householdchorewhore Wed 19-Mar-14 01:27:09

Where would work be? Would you prefer east, west, north or south?

AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 19-Mar-14 01:29:49

Have you tried commutefrom.com for areas? Where does your husband work? We're further out than I'd have liked but we've got a great quality of life and fantastic schools. I think you probably could get somewhere in the leafy suburbs past Croydon, there are some good state schools in that area. Otherwise you're looking at Surrey or Sussex proper. What is your priority? Secondary schools, commute or location?

werenotreallyhere Wed 19-Mar-14 14:00:52

OP, where are your family?

Darkchocolatedigestive Wed 19-Mar-14 14:34:57

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your replies. My parents are near Woking, and my brother in north London. I'm not that keen to live in real surburbia if I can help it. I,d love local shops and somewhere vibrant with a good sense of community but I guess a decent school has to be a priority. and the kids are desperate for a bigger garden. i work mostly from home but need to get London occasionally. Husband all over, but will have to go north quite a lot, so maybe the whole idea is silly. I'm just v confused. Has anyone else relocated to be closer to their family and how did it work? Ps, what does OP stand for?

AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:47:14

I think it's original poster. We moved to Horsham, do you know it? We'd been away and came back with family scattered from Woking across and south. Maybe have a look at Horsham? It's a lovely town with smart shops and great schools 50 minutes on the train from Victoria or an hour to London bridge, 4 trains an hour. It's also a half hour drive from Brighton. Not as lively as a lot of places but hardly any crime either, a safe place to bring up children, fingers crossed!

Windowbasket Wed 19-Mar-14 20:46:54

I also recommend Horsham!

ShoeWhore Wed 19-Mar-14 21:01:20

Bedfordshire is much cheaper than Herts and good access to the North OP.

TheBeanpole Thu 20-Mar-14 10:06:36

There are areas of London that are affordable, but the bit you might have to compromise on is 'nice', depending on your definition. But as I'm sure you know most areas of London are pretty mixed anyway.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43191814.html
Would be one sort of option, SE20, SE13 or SE6. Schools are generally fine, London has better performing schools, on average, than the rest of the country anyway.

redcatblackcat Thu 20-Mar-14 10:21:03

Horsham is very middle class pleasant-ville, if you like that that type of thing?

householdchorewhore Thu 20-Mar-14 12:02:12

What about Ruislip orNorthwood in Hillingdon or Harrow? Both good for north London with very good transport links and easy to get out to Woking.

Aethelfleda Thu 20-Mar-14 20:24:43

How about out to the West in Berkshire/Windsor? £550k would get you a nice four/five bedroom in Langley/Burnham/Iver Heath/Chalfont St Peter or a slightly smaller place in Windsor/Iver/Stoke Poges/Richings Park : it's 30 mins to paddington, and faster when crossrail comes in 2018 (it gets as far as Maidenhead), and it's v easy to get to the M25/M40. The market's surprisingly non-inflated over here (compared to the Walton/Hersham/Esher/Molesey area where the local market is going nuts according to friends who live there). Maybe worth a quick Rightmove?

SilverSixpence Thu 20-Mar-14 20:58:45

We're in SE London, our house is a large 4 bed mid terrace with a small garden and comes under your budget. DS is in one of several outstanding schools in the area but there also some failing schools in the area. The area is improving and very family friendly. I think most London suburbs would be ok budget wise except for the obvious SW or North London areas

Darkchocolatedigestive Fri 21-Mar-14 10:10:38

Thanks so much everyone, loads of ideas. I better get properly right moving and stop just vaguely mulling the same things over and over. Decisions have never been my strong point... Where are you in SE London silver sixpence?

herbaceous Fri 21-Mar-14 10:29:18

There are pockets of East London that would fit your criteria, but they're going up fast. I'm in Walthamstow, and a year ago you'd have easily got such a house. Not any more, and I suspect areas like Forest Gate, West Ham, etc, will follow suit.

Leggingsandtrainersnonono Fri 21-Mar-14 19:40:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverSixpence Fri 21-Mar-14 19:48:19

OP I am in Penge on the border of Beckenham. Wasn't too excited about living here at first but now really like it. Also gorgeous period houses around if you like that sort of thing

CelticPromise Fri 21-Mar-14 22:22:17

I second Harrow. It's good value for London and schools are good.

Beamur Fri 21-Mar-14 22:29:44

Some friends of mine have just moved from the Midlands to near Crystal Palace. (SE19)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now