Advice for vendor on second viewing?(27 Posts)
Wise MNers, help me. I'm panicking slightly.
Our little cottagey house has been on the market for a week today and we've had five viewings. One woman is coming back for a second viewing this evening. She's a first time buyer and came with her dad the first time. They both seemed to really like the house.
I have my fingers crossed very tightly. Anyone have any tips to boost our chances of getting an offer? I know there's only so much we can do - if they like it then they like it - but I'd like to do everything possible really.
We have another viewer, described by the agent as a 'very keen' first time buyer, coming on Friday morning. Is that worth mentioning to her or will I just sound like I'm trying to pile the pressure on?
Any help gratefully received.
have bills ready so you can answer questions about running costs. Tidy up as you did the first time and beyond that, welcome them, let them look around and make it clear you are happy to answer any questions.
mention the other viewer if asked.
Unless you did it the first time round point out any upgrades in the house new boiler etc and the positives of the location ie good school (even if she doesn't dc will help resale), bus route, how safe the area is (is it? If so this would appeal to the FTB's dad). Good luck
Thanks specialsubject and Wishful. I feel nervous, which is daft as they were both really nice people. Will let you know how it goes!
Try and let them get on with it themselves as best as you can on second viewings. If you hover round them too much, they may feel intimidated. Although make sure they know you are available to answer any questions they may have.
Present it as you did before, as she's seems to like what's she's seen. I always made sure curtains were wide open to let in as much natural light as possible. If all the family are in, try to have children sat watching tv, on laptop or reading on their bed and just one of you show them around. It will make it seems more spacious with less bodies standing.
The owners have always been present in the house we're hoping to buy and we asked them things like cost of utilities, age of boiler and we if we could look at the pressure of their shower (we all like showers so important to us!). My husband wanted to take a look in the shed to make sure waterproof. Viewer may be interested in local places to eat/takeaways. Also, something about the neighbours.
Fingers crossed, it goes well. Even if she's not sure, it's great you've got a second viewing in the first week, so sounds like you'll sell quite quick.
Bowlers, I was planning to let them in and just tell them to have a good look round as they know where everything is and let me know if they need anything/have any questions. Do you think that's the right approach?
It's a small house so I don't want to hover round them too much and take up all the space!
Thanks Madmog, I'm hoping so. We still love the house and will be sad to leave, but still would rather have a lightning speed sale!
Just be prepared for questions that impact how much they will offer, as they probably will. So they will look at the aspects of the house that may cost them money in the next few years, e.g. boiler, roof, windows, stuff that you don't notice when you're working out whether you like a house and could see yourself living there. So be prepared to answer their questions e.g. when was the loft converted etc, and you'll be well on your way to getting an offer. Other than that let them talk privately and look round the house & garden without you listening in.
OP, yes that's what I have done with the houses we have sold. Have something to do so you aren't too much on edge just waiting for them to finish.
When we second viewed the house we live in now, it was a Sunday lunch time. The vendor had a really bad hangover, and I think she was really relieved to just to sit on her sofa while we took ourselves happily around her house by ourselves.
Hope it goes well. It sounds like there is a lot of interest in it. Have you found a house to move to?
Thanks for all your advice, everyone. We did as you suggested Bowlers and left them to wander about at will. She asked practical questions about parking and things so I'm quite hopeful. She seemed to really like it.
Fingers crossed we hear something tomorrow. We have our eye on a great house but it all depends on timings really - so the sooner we get things moving, the better.
Thanks again for all your help
I second the advice to let them walk around on their own and keep out of their way, then they will feel they can comfortably discuss things and be able to imagine themselves living there. I even went out into the garden and pottered about a bit while they were wandering. In both cases they bought the house. Good luck!!
Hope you hear back from the viewers. Good luck
Thanks for all the good wishes! They came last night and again seemed to really like the house.
We were hoping to possibly hear from them today but but nothing so far. That's a bad sign isn't it?
Not necessarily. They might not want to seem too keen - especially if they're contemplating putting in a cheeky offer. Fingers crossed you hear something.
Thanks Dilly. I know you are right. It's so hard to think sensibly and be objective when it's your own house! I'll keep you posted.
We didn't put an offer in on the house we live in now for two weeks! I hope these people don't wait that long, Autumn .
There might be a number of reasons-it may be the first house they've seen and they want to look at a few more before they offer, they may just need to finalise their finances, they may be working out if they can fit all their furniture in etc, or they may have been frantically busy today and not had a chance to speak to the agent.
Time seems to pass slowly for you because you're champing at the bit and keen to move.
Ring the estate agent tomorrow, and ask for feedback, so you know.
Me too Bowlers! How come you waited that long, if you don't mind me asking?
I think I'll give the agents a call tomorrow afternoon if we've still heard nothing.
Well, we just weren't sure about it. It was smaller than we wanted, although had a lot going for it. We flew off on holiday the day after we second viewed, didn't even think much about it until the end of the holiday when we decided that there had been nothing else around we were interesting in buying, had already exchanged on our sale with a very long completion date but needed to start the process of buying imminently, and that with a huge bit of remodelling and extending it would work for us.
So we offered, it was accepted, we did the work, and are very very happy here , 10 years later.
I think you need feedback from the agent. If it's a 'no' at least you will know, and it won't be preying on your mind. Hopefully, it will be positive news though.
Any news yet? Where they proceedable (ie in a position to move or waiting for house to sell).
Ours also took a while to be agreed. Lady viewed and still had her own house to sell. She asked to view again ten days later and still had no buyer, then a week later it was all systems go and we had an offer from her. It took a week to negotiate on that though as she had to increase her offer twice to get near what we wanted. Same thing happened on our purchase, we had to make three offers before it was accepted.
No news yet. I was hoping to hear something by now but maybe I'm just being overly optimistic!
She's a first time buyer and is living at home at the moment, so she could be just getting her finances sorted. Or she may have offered elsewhere. There's no way of knowing!
I'm going to ring the agents this afternoon to see if they've had any feedback but the fact that you have both experienced longer time periods Madmog and Bowlers reassures me slightly.
Just heard back from the agent. Apparently she thinks the second bedroom might be too small. But she hasn't discounted it. Pretty disappointed but we have more viewings lined up tomorrow and over the weekend. Onwards and upwards.
Well, she may have a look at some other houses and if they don't measure up, come back to yours. Lets hope.
Good luck with the other viewings.
Hopefully we'll get some good news soon.
As said, she may view one or two others and still come back. I'd say five viewings in the first week is good and you've still got more to come. What doesn't work for one, will be perfect for another.
Well...we had a viewer this morning. She came back this evening and wants to offer tomorrow! Fingers crossed.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.