Advanced search

Who is your insurance with them and how have they treated you?

(6 Posts)
ohhifruit Mon 17-Mar-14 23:12:00

We are due to exchange later this week and we've been looking at various quotes for insurance.
We ideally want to get building (end terrace) and contents insurance together but don't just want to go for the cheapest. Previously we've had to claim on car insurance with two different companies and had both terrible and amazing experiences so we know how important it is to pay a little more but go with a company who are likely to pay out or at the very least not make you feel like some kind of terrible fraudster.

Your recommendations and experiences would be very much appreciated by not only me (a very hormonal and hugely pregnant woman) but my husband who is having a very stressful time after the loss of a close family member.

minipie Mon 17-Mar-14 23:28:36

Hi, no personal experience but I recently read lots of good reviews (on another forum I use) for Hiscox and John lewis. I gather Hiscox cost a bit more on premiums but you get a much better service if you need to claim. there were quite a few negative reviews for Liverpool Victoria.

ohhifruit Wed 19-Mar-14 13:08:23

Thanks Minipie, I'll take a look at both of those options.

We've also heard good things about NFU Mutual so I'm hoping they aren't really, really expensive.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 19-Mar-14 14:38:50

we use Hiscox and they are amazing. Also Direct line, only reason we moved from DL to Hiscox is the fact DL but a limit on our personal possessions and limited us per item, some items were over and they wouldn't cover.
Hiscox is an unlimited policy and we don't have to list everything.
All out BTL's are with DL.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 19-Mar-14 14:52:52

NFU mutual are fab for the last two years they have been the cheapest quote I have got, in fact £400 cheaper than the competition.

lalasmum17 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:56:19

Hiscox are great for less ordinary properties (i.e. they can cope with listed buildings/rivers nearby etc) and are pleasant to deal with.

Living where we do, in an old house, we only have a few insurers that will consider us.

If you have a normal house, in a safe area with regular contents you can probably go with a standard insurer.

Have a think about what you want insurance for. We choose to have a fairly high retention (the bit we stomach ourselves before we ever claim) to keep the premium lower because we just need help with the the really big stuff like fires and subsidence.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: