Talk

Advanced search

Installing new fireplace

(10 Posts)
SilverSixpence Sun 16-Mar-14 19:56:24

id like to install a cast iron fireplace but don't know the first thing about them! I have visited a lovely shop where they have quoted me around £350 for original fireplace, £200 for surround and £200 installation. Does that sound reasonable? Also will that be a working fireplace or just decorative? What fuel could be used if it is working?

Also for that money would I be better off with a wood burning stove?

Quoteunquote Sun 16-Mar-14 20:37:42

a wood burning stove will be far more efficient use of fuel,

You need to have your chimney lined, (you may get away without, but it far safer, and most insurance companies require it)

www.stovesonline.co.uk

This company ^^ will talk you through all you need to know, really good customer service.

The quote you have been given is worryingly cheap for a working fire.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 16-Mar-14 21:28:25

£200 installation sounds like "in ideal circumstances" - they cant possibly give you an accurate quote until theyve seen the state of your chimneys and so on. Call round some independent fireplace installers... Don't assume that the people who sell the things are the best people to fit them. As a minimum, you'll need your chimney swept and smoke tested. Over time, the mortar degrades, and it can leak all over your house (and next door if you have a party wall!). If the chimney is sound and clean, and you're going for an open fire, you probably don't need a liner, which would save you A LOT of money. You may need some extra ventilation in the room (eg: an air brick, or vent through a suspended floor). You should be looking for a HETAS accredited fitter, whether you're having an open fire or a stove.

The prices for the insert and surround sound about right, I guess. Do have a look on ebay, because cast iron fireplaces tend to come out intact, so you should find quite a lot to choose from, and get a good idea of what they go for. Also check out reproductions, which may or may not be good and/or cheaper (try www.victorianfires.co.uk).

Don't be pressured into a stove if you really want an open fire. I love both, but they're quite different animals. Stoves are a lot more efficient, but you can buy a lot of wood for the money you'd save if you didn't have to line the chimney. And I still think you can't beat an open fire for atmosphere.

SilverSixpence Sun 16-Mar-14 23:32:12

Thanks for the advice, DH wouldn't want a wood burner having looked at how much they cost! So now my options are having a working fire or some kind of decorative fireplace for putting logs/candles/flowers in, eg by knocking the hole through and tidying it up, painting and putting a surround on. Is it as simple as that? Would I be introducing draughts into the room unnecessarily?

MillyMollyMama Mon 17-Mar-14 09:07:53

Do you have a working fireplace already or not in that room? You cannot just be "knocking the hole through"! Through to where? If you do not already have a working fireplace you would need to build a chimney. I would leave well alone.

SilverSixpence Thu 20-Mar-14 21:40:48

ok had quote for wood burning stove, 2.5-3k all in, he thinks an open fire wouldn't work for us (can't remember the reason but something to do with smoke coming back in and being inefficient). I do like the idea of a stove but not sure DH will go for it at that price! Worried about draughts with an open fireplace too especially as we'll have floorboards.

SilverSixpence Fri 21-Mar-14 20:47:21

Found a beautiful cast iron fireplace today and will be having it installed tomorrow! It is costing a bit more for fitting than expected but don't mind if it will work and be done properly.

Lagoonablue Fri 21-Mar-14 21:33:22

We got a gas fire in our fireplace. A living flame type one.

Lagoonablue Fri 21-Mar-14 21:34:19

Meant to add. Looked nice and gave off reasonable background heat as it had some mind of reflector place at the back. Probs not that efficient but clean and no smoke problems!

SilverSixpence Sun 23-Mar-14 19:58:27

Fireplace is in, I love it smile and only cost £100 so was a bargain! Only thing I was a little unhappy with is that the fitter had the hearth granite cut into three pieces instead of one piece which is apparently to prevent cracking, is this necessary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now