Talk

Advanced search

Is dulux trade diamond matt emulsion a good choice ? Or will I have "shiny walls" that can't be painted over ?

(17 Posts)
shoom Sat 15-Mar-14 15:37:58

I've just read the other thread about trying to paint over shiny walls. (Commiserations).

It's this stuff
https://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_diamond_matt.jsp
and the decorators are about to start

A tough, washable matt emulsion that delivers excellent durability. It is resistant to many common stains and will clean without polishing up. With its new improved formulation, Diamond Matt delivers even greater durability and stain resistance, keeping that just painted look for longer.

mrssmith79 Sat 15-Mar-14 15:47:29

Diamond just refers to the 'strength' and resistance, it's called that to indicate a superior quality to normal matt...not because it gives you sparkly walls!

mrssmith79 Sat 15-Mar-14 15:50:07

Think of it as using, say, Fairy Platinum to do your dishes instead of normal Fairy liquid.

shoom Sat 15-Mar-14 16:03:53

I know it won't sparkle grin, I want to know if it's a normal matt than can be painted over with no particular care or whether it'd be more like painting over silk.

fiorentina Sat 15-Mar-14 16:05:44

We have it colour mixed to farrow and ball colours. It's very resilient so far but we've only been here for 4 months. Wipes clean though with no extra sheen. Decorators all recommended it.

neepsandtatties Sat 15-Mar-14 16:10:36

About to get it put in our bathroom, at our decorators recommendation - apparently durable like kitchen/bathroom paint but without the sheen - he said it's only very slightly more silky than standard emulsion.

shoom Sat 15-Mar-14 16:33:34

Thanks

jaspercat2002 Sat 15-Mar-14 23:00:31

The trade diamond Matt is very different to the dulux endurance. My sister painted walls with endurance and it was quite shiny and awful to paint over but we have the trade diamond Matt in hall and stairs and it is as matt as the standard paint and very washable - it's great. Can't comment on painting over as haven't tried yet but the Matt surface seems like it would paint over like standard paint.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 15-Mar-14 23:04:37

OP I've been stalling on getting our decorating done because I didn't know where to start with the paint. Thanks so much this sounds ideal for the work I need to get done. Matching to Farrow & Ball is inspired fiorentina. flowers

shoom Sat 15-Mar-14 23:28:10

Thanks jasperscat it's good to hear people are happy with it.

yegods Yes, so many options to consider. This will be the first time I've paid for decorators and the expense makes me want to get it right.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:31:17

We've used it and it looks like normal matt on the wall. I have to say that I haven't noticed any difference in durability between it and ordinary matt though. Not sure if it's really worth the premium price tag.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:32:53

Ah, sorry. Maybe what we used wasn't the trade paint. Don't think it was. Must have been Endurance instead.

fiorentina Sun 16-Mar-14 09:56:37

Yegods do make sure you take the colour chart for farrow and ball with you for them to match off that, otherwise we had some interesting interpretations of the F&B colours..

mrsddoodle Sun 16-Mar-14 10:17:28

I can definitely recommend it. We have white throughout our hallway and with 3 dogs and 2 children our decorator recommended it. It's definitely not shiny and so easy to clean, a damp cloth and it looks like new.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 16-Mar-14 11:18:26

Thanks fi! grin

CalamitouslyWrong Sun 16-Mar-14 11:29:46

All our walls are in diamond matt. It's totally matt- nit shiny at all. And easy to clean mucky fingerprints off.

It's also easy to paint with (which will go down well with your decorators).

Tinman909 Sun 26-Jul-15 07:11:34

Before you use the Diamond use the normal Dulux Vinyl white Matt for first coat. Let that dry overnight then paint the Diamond paint over it. Remember you only need to use the Diamond where the is traffic or potential wall touching. You don't need it on the ceiling .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now