Talk

Advanced search

Replacement windows & re-rendering - which first?

(4 Posts)
TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Sat 15-Mar-14 12:05:16

Our old render has been patched many times & is a mess so I want to get it all hacked off & redone (we can't go with unrendering completely as the bricks underneath are not pretty)

And we will be fitting new windows

So which should be done first? I'm guessing windows?

(& does rendering require scaffolding? because we are also getting the roof reslated, & will have scaffolding up for that, so should those 2 jobs be done at the same time?)

specialsubject Sat 15-Mar-14 13:22:59

windows. But don't tell the window fitters that you are having it re-rendered, as this gives an excuse to be careless.

working at height is much safer from scaffolding so co-ordinate the render and roof.

karron Sat 15-Mar-14 14:00:36

We did roof and render together as was one scaffolding cost but both can't always be doing the job at the same time. You don't want the roofers dropping something on your renderer. It works out cheaper as it only has to go up once.

We didn't need to replace our windows and the new render goes to them but I do worry about their fit as the windows were sized to the wall plus original render. I'd see if you can get the original render removed around the windows, then get the windows fitted and then get the new render applied. You don't want the render damaging when the windows go in.

Good luck with it all, sounds like you've got a lot to do.

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Sat 15-Mar-14 15:04:00

Oh, that's good advice - thanks, both smile

Builder/roofer we will probably use says rendering isn't a job he normally takes on, so has recommended somebody in which case scaffolding co-ordination shouldn't be a problem. That's likely to be in the summer (July maybe)

Windows will be from someone else & done sooner; haven't contacted renderer yet, maybe he can advise about window surrounds when he comes to quote.

(It is a lot shock & we're also having original (Victorian) attic gutted & replastered plus new staircase, extra lights & sockets, & new radiator at the same time as the roof aaargh. & the attic & roof space are crammed with 30 years-worth of accumulated Stuff. I'm not looking forward to it grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now