Talk

Advanced search

Offers accepted, how soon before we here anything?

(8 Posts)
Lottie4 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:06:57

We agreed on offer on our property on 1 March and I phoned solicitor and informed him we would like him to act. We then agreed an offer on our purchase on 7 March and at that time emailed solicitor to let him know the address of the property we'd like to buy. Agents have sent a form out on our sale giving details of purchaser and solicitors acting. Haven't had one yet on our purchase through the same agents.

I was half expecting to hear from our solicitor this week requesting details of our deeds and a few questions, given that it's nearly two weeks since it was agreed. Am I being too impatient?

MrsCosmopilite Sat 15-Mar-14 10:13:18

It takes AGES!

We accepted an offer in early Jan on ours. A week later, had an offer accepted on what we wanted to buy. We're looking to complete next month!

When I sold my late parent's house, we put it on the market in July, accepted an offer pretty early on, and didn't complete until October.

There is a LOT of paperwork - land registry searches, personal id checks, general flood risk stuff, etc. In my meagre experience of solicitors dealing with house buy/sell a) they take forever to get back to you: a snail with a bad foot could turn around more quickly b) they don't seem to read the documents that you send them c) suddenly everything happens at once.

Lottie4 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:21:42

My husband wants to complete April/May, but I've said to him I think it'll be more like June, could be July if someone hasn't got relevant paperwork. Luckily I've got all our guarantees, FENSA and boiler certificates/guarantees ready, as well as our deeds.

MrsCosmopilite Sat 15-Mar-14 10:32:07

Good luck - let's hope everyone is on the ball.

I've had to explain the deeds and the lease four times so far. We've just had a letter about completion and there's something they've written about the lease which is wrong. Even though I have told them three times. Once in person. [hmmm]

specialsubject Sat 15-Mar-14 10:47:01

you are paying the solicitor. Therefore you expect a service. Get on the phone and ask when things will be happening. Be a nuisance.

my solicitor dealt with things by return, as they all should. Any messing about, go elsewhere.

your searches need to have been kicked off.

PeacesOfAte Sat 15-Mar-14 11:08:50

Send all the paperwork into the solicitor, it'll save them doing a letter to ask you to bring them. Solicitors do everything by post, not email, which takes longer. Let them know when you would like to complete by, and then phone weekly for a progress report. Phone them asap to check that they've ordered the searches, and they might want a cheque from you to cover the cost of these.

If you're buying and selling through the same estate agent that'll be easier, as they'll know what's going on with both and you won't get mixed messages. Tell them when you want to complete too, and phone them at least weekly for an update and to ensure they are dealing promptly with any issues that arise - they are your link with your buyers and the sellers of the house you want, so keep in the loop so that any problems can be sorted at an early stage.

Have you got your mortgage in place? You need to be getting that organised as soon as possible, as the mortgage company may want to do a valuation, and all this takes time, so speak to your bank or broker and get that moving too.

You can complete in less than eight weeks if everyone is really motivated and no problems arise, and the money is straightforward, but it's pretty unusual. But the more you get all your bits in place, and keep in touch with your mortgage company, solicitor and estate agent, the more straightforward it is likely to be.

cooper44 Sat 15-Mar-14 13:03:47

I had offer accepted on Feb 11th and we are exchanging next Friday. But you need to all be totally motivated. My solicitor and I have done everything by return. (Almost nothing by post and all via email/scanned docs which is much quicker). There are efficient solicitors and very slow ones and the latter are pretty nightmarish to work with in my experience.

CrapBag Sat 15-Mar-14 14:14:28

I refuse to sit around waiting for people to get a move on with things.

I would phone and chase things up, its the only way the get their arses in gear.

We completed in about 6 weeks on this house and I did a lot of delivering and picking up rather than sitting and waiting for them to post things out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now