Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you have preschool aged children and engineered flooring or amtico, what are your thoughts?

(4 Posts)
shoom Fri 14-Mar-14 17:46:09

The man in John Lewis said amtico is less likely to scratch, but harder to repair. But also said light scratches can be fixed with "dressing".

I'd buy turtle mats or similar for at the doors , but wonder how either option will cope with normal family life.

Sixtiesqueen Fri 14-Mar-14 18:51:06

We've had amtico down for two years. My kids are 8 and 4.

It does scratch but yes, you can buy fluid that helps remove the scratches. John Lewis fitted ours too and they sell all of the products.

Also worth noting that you have to strip and reseal it every year. Just done ours, looks much better but faff of a Job and has to be done when the children are out.

I'm happy with it and it looks good.

mannbookeriwish Fri 14-Mar-14 23:28:48

we've had engineered flooring since 2001 so pre children. Floor definitely needs sanding and revarnishing now, but I'm quite a perfectionist and haven't felt too bad about it. So - pretty good going as far as I am concerned. (It has had to put up with pushchairs being repeatedly pushed around dining table, repeated dragging in & out of heavy objects and no rugs).

MillyMollyMama Sun 16-Mar-14 02:07:08

I had solid wood flooring and we had no problems but we had rugs. However, I did not let my children even think about damaging the floor. I had Amtico in the kitchen and it is tough. Children do not have to ruin anything! You can sand and re-seal decent engineered wood (not with varnish) and it lasts longer than you will in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now