Talk

Advanced search

Would this put you off? Kitchen/utility extension.

(6 Posts)
Thistledew Fri 14-Mar-14 15:58:09

I have a small Victorian end of terrace property. At the moment, on the ground floor there are two reception rooms (living room and dining room), which are open to the extension on the back of the house that contains a narrow galley kitchen just over two metres long with units on both sides, and a bathroom at the back of the house. There is currently a bi-fold door between the bathroom and kitchen.

We are planning an extension and will put the bathroom upstairs. I am deliberating whether to knock down the dividing wall, opening up the kitchen into what is now the bathroom space, or whether to keep the wall and door so that the bathroom becomes a utility room.

If we go for the utility room option, we will then move the fridge and washing machine into it, to free up a bit more work surface space and two more cupboard spaces. It will also mean that we can shut the door on the washing machine and not have to listen to it churning away if we put it on in the evening, as currently there are no doors between it and the living room.

One idea I would appreciate opinions on is to move the kitchen sink into the utility room. This would create a significant amount more work surface in the kitchen. The sink would only be just the other side of the wall, and the doors stay open most of the time. It would be not more than about a metre away from the cooker, for example.

Would it put you off buying a house if you found that the kitchen sink wasn't actually in the kitchen, but was very close by?

snoggle Fri 14-Mar-14 16:08:52

Your plan overall sounds good but I would want sink in kitchen. Not walking round with hot pans to drain the pasta, carrying wet cloths back in to mop tops etc etc

PeterParkerSays Fri 14-Mar-14 16:11:52

No, it would be handy for hiding washing up when you have guests round.

Belindabelle Fri 14-Mar-14 16:15:54

I would have a sink in the utility and a smaller prep sink in the kitchen.

Thistledew Fri 14-Mar-14 16:50:21

Thanks for the comments - gahh - I seem to have double posted here.

Parker - I like your style - that is a definite plus!

fruitloop84 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:55:51

We have a similar style house, and ours has bathroom upstairs, old bathroom is now part of the kitchen and we have a table in that end, it is a lovely space. I would remove the wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now