Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of moving to Leicester from Northampton any suggestions?

(17 Posts)
FabulouslyFierce Fri 14-Mar-14 13:01:48

We are Londoners who moved to Northampton 12 years ago. The town seemed to have a lot of potential, but over the years things have gone downhill and don't seem to be improving. We are fed up now and want to leave.

We have a 10 y.o DS who is due to start secondary school next year, so we thought we would let him finish primary here then move next year.

I am dithering about the move because:-
(1) even though neither DH or I have a big close family in London, we do have some London ties.
(2) We have been here for 12 years and have made some friends here and I am worried about starting all over again.
(3) Because of above I worry that we will be isolated with no sitters for DS - it takes a while to build up a trusting relationship where you feel happy leaving your child with new people.
(4) I worry that Leicester will turn out to be just as bad as Northampton and we will be stuck in another crappy place.

So advice please - does anyone know nice family areas of Leicester with good schools with reasonably priced houses (under £200k)? Should I just avoid Leicester altogether?

nerdgirl72 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:31:14

Hi Fabulously,

I am in Leicester, what sort of house are you looking for? That will help see what and where you can get for your budget.

Leicester is ok, decent range of facilities which seems to be improving, good transport connections, not exactly glamourous, a bit rough around the edges in places.

Knighton and Clarendon Park are leafy with some lovely houses but prices are relatively high. I think secondary schools are ok and improving there. Oadby has very good secondary schools and prices reflect this, but not many period properties.

I am on the other side of the city, West End, which is definitely rougher around the edges and secondary schooling not great but improving. There are County school options if you are on the outskirts of the city.

Market Harborough could be a compromise in between Leicester and Northampton. Its on the main train line, I don't live there so don't know about schools but it is v naice.

beaglesaresweet Fri 14-Mar-14 21:57:48

hmm, I wasn't impressed with Market H - a bit small and boring, but agree it's nicer than Northampton. What about going to north midlands, Derby or Nottingham?

Glasshammer Sat 15-Mar-14 08:41:16

Leicester is much like Northampton to be honest. What do you dislike about Northampton and what are you hoping to achieve with a move?

Glasshammer Sat 15-Mar-14 08:43:39

Where ever you go you will make friends but it might take a year or two

LaurieFairyCake Sat 15-Mar-14 08:44:48

How much have you got to spend?

Before I get the shit kicked out of me by the Leicester massive I have to say I'm not sure Leicester is a marked improvement on Northampton grin

Further south? But it really depends how much you have to spend. I want to recommend Harpenden/St. Albans/Berkhamsted - all very, very nice and a huge improvement to Northampton.

beatricequimby Sat 15-Mar-14 20:52:39

I can understand why you would want to leave Northampton. Is Leicester your only other option? Is Birmingham not possible? I think going back to London would be difficult on your budget but there are loads of places that are better than Northampton.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 15-Mar-14 20:57:45

Villages in Leicestershire are much, much nicer than Leicester itself IMHO.

If it has to be a city what about Nottingham or B'ham?

sleepdodger Sat 15-Mar-14 23:41:28

Leicester villages are stunning and provide strong commuter links and good schools whilst being an easy trip to town
The city centre has had a huge amount spent on it has a decent shopping centre and out if town centre too, provides a diverse community and the variety of cultures with it
I've lived there for 10 years after living in large cities and quiet backwaters
Tbh it's a great compromise and good value housing
For £200k you'd get a mansion or a postage stamp depending on what you want location wise!

FabulouslyFierce Sun 16-Mar-14 15:45:23

Hi Thanks for your responses. I would like to leave Northampton because it is very small and boring. Even DS is starting to complain about it!

What I dislike about Northampton:-
1) Lack of decent town centre for shopping and eating
2) Slow to change and develop - bad town planning
3) Small town mentality
4) Lack of town pride - everything is done halfheartedly i.e the pathetic carnival, the balloon festival being moved elsewhere
5) Schools not very good

Been to Market Harborough. Lovely place to meet up for dinner and mooch around, but I would probably die of boredom if I lived there wink

FabulouslyFierce Sun 16-Mar-14 15:49:09

We thought of Nottingham - but worried about it being too big and being nicknamed "Shottingham" kind of put us off....

Not keen on Birmingham - it has all the things we want but it felt too ghettoised, people from different cultures seem to live separately and I don't like that. Prefer a nice mix.

beaglesaresweet Sun 16-Mar-14 19:11:41

OP, what about Derby? has decent town centre, and some pride in the city due to Rolls-Royce and railway co's, has some ethnic mix too though not as much as Leicester, and generally is peaceful. Nice parks!
All smaller towns/cities aer boring to a degree, but Market H def more boring thn other places mentioned.

beaglesaresweet Sun 16-Mar-14 19:13:14

and good travel links - though not sure about Lincoln as I don't live there, only visited.

nerdgirl72 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:01:20

Lol at all the barely-veiled Leicester-dissing!

Ok, now I have a better idea of your motivation, to echo what sleep dodger said, I have been here for 12 years, never really intended to stay, but am very happy here.

We have decided to stay in the city rather than moving to a village or smaller town because of the boredom factor you describe.

There are loads of festivals (including Comedy, Spark Children's arts and many more) throughout the year, an excellent theatre in Curve, and rugby and football clubs if you are into that sort of thing. Shopping is pretty good, with lots of interesting independents around the Lanes.

My DS is much younger than yours but there is lots to do for families, with some lovely countryside and villages close by. Most areas are diverse, but you still get areas dominated by particular cultures.

But, it is a small city, not that pretty or naice and therefore not to everyone's taste.

nerdgirl72 Sun 16-Mar-14 21:06:42

Oh and lots is changing in Leicester at the moment because of our elected Mayor who is doing lots to try and improve the city centre.

usualsuspectt Sun 16-Mar-14 21:15:44

Knighton and Clarendon Park are very leafy, good schools but expensive.

Leicester is very diverse, shopping is not bad, John Lewis etc if you are into that sort of thing,

Villages are not so diverse as the city itself.

Nice Parks, few festivals, free museums that have loads of kids events on.

viewwitharoom Mon 17-Mar-14 04:53:30

Try south Leicestershire villages, lutterworth and surrounding area. Good connection to a number of cities, trains to London from rugby and good schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now