Talk

Advanced search

Tree felled and possible heave?

(6 Posts)
Pinklemon Thu 13-Mar-14 22:05:06

Today I 've someone came to fell a 15ft conifer, which is 8m away from the house. I was worried about possible heave but he reassured me it's OK because the conifer is quite a distance away from the house. Now all that left is a stump. The soil is either clay or sand/gravel. Now I'm very worried just in case he's wrong. What do you think?

AClassyMove Thu 13-Mar-14 22:30:03

You need to work out what type of soil you do have, you don't seem to know, so find out.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 13-Mar-14 22:33:03

I think it will be fine. I have clay and had a 30 foot conifer removed which was less than 10 feet from my back door - since then I've had an extension built and there were no roots in that 10 feet.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Mar-14 01:30:25

The distance from the house exceeds the height if the tree, which as a rule of thumb is OK.

Modern houses have deeper foundations than old ones (unless you have a cellar).

Pinklemon Fri 14-Mar-14 07:40:19

Pigletjohn, my house is built in the 1950s and I think the tree was planted about 20 years ago. Does that make heave unlikely?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Mar-14 10:23:23

I think distance and height makes it safe. AFAIK garden conifers have fairly shallow roots (having looked at some that have blown over).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now