Advanced search

What certificates/guarantees would you expect to be available?

(8 Posts)
Madmog Thu 13-Mar-14 14:56:25

We're in the early stages of buying a house and want to ask our solicitor to make sure he gets any relevant certificates//guarantees, but not sure what would require them.

We believe the house was refurbished three years ago and had:

New front door and windows
Was totally re-wired with new trip switch box
New central heating including pipework and radiators
New kitchen, bathroom and cloakroom fittings

At some stage there has been a 10ftx9ft extension on the back of the lounge. The property was originally a bungalow but stairs and dormer windows were put in to allow two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. I guess there should be planning permissions and building regs available on some of these, but not quite sure which would require them. Have been in touch with the Council, but haven't heard back yet.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 13-Mar-14 15:00:23

Certificates for all the electrical stuff
Guarantees for everything that was refitted and installed
Instruction manuals for all of the above
Proof of a recent service of the boiler

If the extension etc was before the recent building regs came into force you'll need to pay for indemnity insurance (caused a few days delay with completion on our recent sale because we hasn't organised this).

specialsubject Thu 13-Mar-14 15:28:25

there should be building regs approval for the boiler and (I think) the wiring. Note that a 'gas safe' certificate for the boiler is NOT the same as building regs approval.

guarantees (not that they are worth much) and FENSA certs for the windows.

Spickle Thu 13-Mar-14 15:55:39

Shouldn't the vendor pay for indemnity insurance?

Your solicitor will raise enquiries about guarantees and certificates, which if not forthcoming will mean the vendor has to provide indemnity insurance and/or obtain duplicate certificates (i.e. FENSA) at their cost. -

MrsJohnDeere Thu 13-Mar-14 18:40:06

Yes, the vendor. Sorry misread OP blush

Pinkje Thu 13-Mar-14 19:32:19

As Spickle says, this is what you pay your solicitor for. Your survey will highlight anything else.

SometimesLonely Thu 13-Mar-14 19:37:17

Guarantees for (a) double glazing, (b) cavity wall insulation, new bathroom fitments (shower, bath etc), hot water tank in airing cupboard if newish. Guarantees for (a) and (b) should be with the deeds because they are several years' worth.

Instructions for white goods that are being left behind and any other thing included in the house price eg <desperately trying to think of something> water softener equipment (we have one).

Madmog Fri 14-Mar-14 10:14:55

Thanks everyone. I know the solicitor will ask for guarantees etc, but we're then reliant on what they choose to provide, so it's good to know some of what I should be looking for. We had a new boiler two years ago (and need to get paperwork out for our sale) - from memory think there was a Benchmark certificate and I think the flue had to be fitted under some kind of regulation, so will look out for the same on our purchase.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: