Talk

Advanced search

i want to go home....york - what i can afford is Acomb....

(13 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Thu 13-Mar-14 02:41:39

im from york
after 20 years of saying we are living temporarily we have decided to go back.
snag is that i cant afford masses.....we are talking 160,000 max really. 2 or 3 bed.
been looking and what we can afford is acomb or woodthorpe - actually woodthorpe would be good for me as i will need to travel to rotherham daily - so easy access to a64 then a1 will be a must.

ds is moving out to leeds at end of month so theoretically we could go fora 2 bed....

ideally a 2 or 3 bed.

acomb was always touted as being a bit rough when i was living at home (though i could not be rougher than the council estate i was dragged up on in huntington...smile i then lived in fulford and bootham....

so is acomb all that bad these days?

ta!

Northernlurker Thu 13-Mar-14 08:10:41

I haven't lived in acomb for over a decade but it was ok then. It's not the nicest bit but it's fine. Do you need primary or senior school places?

Oaklands and Lowfields merged a few years ago in to York High. It's not the greatest school but it's ok.

Donki Thu 13-Mar-14 08:15:27

I don't know how it is now, but three years ago I did quite a lot of supply work at York High, because none of the York based supply people would go there. I was offered a permanent job (I wad looking for a permanent post). Let's just say that I wouldn't have worked there for double the salary...

Northernlurker Thu 13-Mar-14 08:16:46

This is nice - v central

Have you thought about Copmanthorpe? It's nice enough and v easy access to the A64. these are all sold but gives you an idea.

Northernlurker Thu 13-Mar-14 08:18:00

Donki - the feedback I have from friends in the area is that they would opt elsewhere but it's not as bad as it used to be. Compared to some areas no school in York is genuinely horrendous.

Donki Thu 13-Mar-14 08:27:42

I'm glad it's improved. It was as bad as the roughest schools I taught at in Leeds, but it may have changed.

Donki Thu 13-Mar-14 08:29:42

Or maybe (like one or two schools I knew), it was just spectacularly bad for supply teachers.

OnceAYorkLass Thu 13-Mar-14 08:32:33

NC just for this thread!

Acomb is a bit dodgy to be honest, but if you were on the Holgate side of Acomb that's not so bad. When I lived in York I lived in Hamilton Drive West, and it wasn't ideal ... a bit to near that big roundabout, that dodgy pub (can't remember its name) and Kingsway West for comfort. Hamilton Drive East was OK. That said I've just had a look at Right Move and I see what you mean ... you don't get much for your money in that area at all. Would you consider a two bed flat, or would you really want a house?

Hope you find a way to come back!

iseenodust Thu 13-Mar-14 10:28:47

Would you think Tadcaster near enough? 3 bed Victorian in budget

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:25:13

i really want to be back in york - dont need schools. ds is 22 and working in leeds and moving to a flat there this month, dd is 16 and goes to selby college - she thinks she will go to uni next year.

really do need a house - we have dogs and cats.

my pal recently moved to osbaldwick - id go there....went to school with folk from there though its a side of york i didnt know well - its nice and has easy access to centre.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:28:40

copmanthorpe is food for thought actually.....

Northernlurker Thu 13-Mar-14 18:54:00

If you don't need schools it is much easier then. There were a couple of bungalows in Osbaldwick area when I was looking at Rightmove. You'd possibly get more land with those.

DameDoom Sun 30-Mar-14 23:12:07

I live in Acomb and teach in Acomb. It's York's biggest 'burb and therefore has mixed parts. Much of the housing stock is superb - okay Chapelfields and the Middleton/Tudor Road areas aren't great - but they aren't anywhere near as bad as rough areas in more metropolitan areas.

Having lived in Islington for years, I happily settled in Acomb and have never looked back. To me,places like Huntington and Strensall are filled with Barrett's boxes and have zero personality.

York High is a good school - it may not be Eton but it's not that rough at all and is certainly not on a par with some Leeds comps.

Thing is, for £160,000, your choices will be limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now