Talk

Advanced search

Bamboo floor help please - engineered or not?

(3 Posts)
LanaStraightLeg Wed 12-Mar-14 16:04:20

I know there are a few bamboo floor fans on here smile

We're planning on having it in kitchen and dining room on MN recommendation.

Builder/joiner has recommended engineered floor as it's more stable. He is willing to fit non-engineered but won't take responsibility for any future issues we have with it.

Unfortunately engineered is out of stock at Simply Bamboo and Bamboo Flooring Co and won't be in stock until mid-April. Builder wants to be finished by 1st April.

Bamboo shop says solid bamboo is v stable, more so than wood, and gives structural guarantee for 25 years.

Tbh I have no real ideas what issues might arise or whether whatever the builder is worried about will fall under the guarantee.

Those of you who have it or who are simply more knowledgeable than me, do we need engineered or an we get away with slightly cheaper non?

Thanks!

PigletJohn Wed 12-Mar-14 20:09:20

engineered wood flooring is just ply with a fancy top layer. Your builder is probably anxious about solid wood swelling and warping (which it does, especially in damp conditions or if excessively dried by UFH).

Bamboo flooring is made of the fibres stuck together. It is very stable and the makers say it stands up to bathrooms and kitchens. I'd expect it to be OK. Buy the longest lengths you can (DIY sheds are often short pieces)

LanaStraightLeg Wed 12-Mar-14 22:26:52

Thanks. Availability plus price = going for non-engineered. Eep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now