Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How would you decorate the rest of this bedroom?

(19 Posts)
PrickleHead Wed 12-Mar-14 15:37:59

I have ordered this for DS's bedroom. The room is basically 8' x 10', so this will take up a whole wall.

He also has this type of bed, but there is no fabric underneath at the moment.

The brief is 'a dinosaur bedroom'.

What colours would you use on the walls? Fabrics? Curtains?

I always envied my friends' bedrooms growing up, and this is the first time we've been able to decorate a room for DS (first owned house), so I want to do it nicely. But it turns out that I have no creative flair at all blush

oscarwilde Wed 12-Mar-14 16:04:04

Have you seen the product reviews ?
Because the mural is packed full of colours and is very busy there is no need to fork out on expensive dinosaur curtains, carpets, lamp shades etc... The room actually looks better with plain accessories.
Just saying grin
http://www.walltastic.com/19_walltastic+classic+range.html
The bedroom in this pic is just decorated simply in green with white furniture - it looks really good. The same company also do little dino stickers if you wanted to dot a few more around to scare him

PrickleHead Wed 12-Mar-14 17:21:26

Haha, I suppose you're probably right. I just want him to be 'wowed', & not be disappointed! We softened the blow of moving house / schools with the promise of a dinosaur bedroom, so I want to get it right!

enriquethewelshgoldringbearing Wed 12-Mar-14 17:24:22

I second that, plain and simple or it'll be overwhelming. Keep everything as clear as possible
What are you planning to do with the space underneath the bed? a place to store and hide toys or a secret den?

Actually that makes me think, is the mural going to be either on the wall with the bed infront of it or on the wall with the door in?

feckawwf Wed 12-Mar-14 17:38:59

Have you seen the dinosaur light shade in Next? It's a pterodactyl (lime green) only about £20, that might look good. Then as others have said, keep the rest of the room pretty plain as the mural is quite fussy, maybe get some of his large dinosaurs to line up on the window cill or on a shelf.
Watching thread with interest as I'm going for the same theme as you smile

oscarwilde Wed 12-Mar-14 17:59:23

How old is he ? My 3.5y.o DD takes T-Rex, Diplodocus to bed. Triceratops and Stegasaurus don't seem to be favoured quite so much.
http://www.nhmshop.co.uk/dino-soft-toys/category.html

member Wed 12-Mar-14 18:02:49

Plenty of time for tasteful/uncluttered in later life wink

Get some more toning dinosaur stickers http://www.fads.co.uk/wall-stickers/children/dinosaur-land-room-decor-stickers/?r=6

Have a camo net with leaves/foliage & attach toy dinosaurs & suspend from ceiling or attach to plain lime green curtains to give texture/interest?

member Wed 12-Mar-14 18:03:13

www.fads.co.uk/wall-stickers/children/dinosaur-land-room-decor-stickers/?r=6

enriquethewelshgoldringbearing Wed 12-Mar-14 18:45:18

Member, cluttered and stuff will come from his possessions, it's the window, walls and floor covering that I think should be plain, the decor comes from the mural and all the toys. If the room's 10' x 8' the bed will take up a fair bit of the space.

Maybe he'd like a framed blackboard or a white board on one wall and shelves on another, oh and a squishy rock-coloured bean seat.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 12-Mar-14 19:16:07

My DS has this gorgeous bedding from John Lewis with the matching curtains here and lamp shade here. He also has a dinosaur cushion that was £5 in Asda the other week here. Asda do also do nice dinosaur bedding.

I have to say that his walls are plains like in the John Lewis picture. It might be a bit much with the mural too.

PrickleHead Wed 12-Mar-14 19:25:11

Thanks for all the responses!

The blackboard is a good idea - I'll look into that.

The bed will be opposite the mural, I think. Under the bed will be toy storage, but with a 'den' feel to it. I want to put some fabric around, like in that example - but it's hard to decide what!

I will definitely be buying the pterodactyl light shade too grin

The camo net idea is good too - there are things to think about smile thank you everyone.

PrickleHead Wed 12-Mar-14 19:27:01

Ooh, cross posted, sorry. I will definitely at least get the cushion.

& by the way, someone asked - he is 5 in a couple of weeks.

MyNameIsKenAdams Wed 12-Mar-14 19:27:06

Chest of drawers - remove the knobs and glue on small dinosaur figurines.

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 12-Mar-14 19:31:20

I'd totally go with that green pterodactyl lampshade, but I'd leave the other walls, curtains, carpet plain (or a leafy design on the curtains). Instead, I'd ramp up the dinosaur theme with some cushions*, assorted framed prints**, and maybe a wall-mounted display case with a collection of model dinosaurs and a fossil or two. If that's all a bit tame, go with dinosaur bedclothes as well. i know small boys aren't all about taste and subtlety, but I don't think there's any harm with showing them that you can do a theme without every last detail to be having to match.

*http://www.johnlewis.com/little-home-at-john-lewis-dinotastic-dinosaur-cushion/p246745

**http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/artpause/product/dinosaur-world-map www.notonthehighstreet.com/spdesign/product/personalised-retro-3d-dinosaur-print https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/182414447/triceratops-dinosaur-art-print-vintage?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=dinosaur+art+print&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

BOFtastic Wed 12-Mar-14 19:38:08

Ikea is good for accessories- they have dragon glove puppets and toys/cushions, and there's a leaf canopy thing you can put over the bed to give a cosy den feel.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 12-Mar-14 20:32:47

The dinosaur bedding at Asda here is blue and green and looks like it might tie in with the mural nicely. It's not too young so would be good for a 5 year old I'd say.

Nocomet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:59:53

Yes accessories are great, pictures are great, bedding etc are great.

Wall stickers or more mural is less great.

Both my DDs had all their walls decorated. Jungle mural round DD1's and fairies and hearts in DD2s. Great until they want a desk, more shelves, a high bunk or their own posters up. Then the trees, flowers and fairies are all in the wrong places and the heart stickers bring the paint off.

I retrospect leaving some plain wall space for their own choice of posters etc. would have been better.

PrickleHead Thu 13-Mar-14 11:45:42

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've ordered a few curtain samples to hold up against the mural when it arrives, to try & coordinate.

& I suppose I will have to brave Ikea sad grin

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 11:50:12

Ikea is fun, unfortunately it's akso a long way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now