Talk

Advanced search

Dulwich residence areas or NW London around ASL - the cheaper retals

(33 Posts)
pandith Wed 12-Mar-14 12:36:08

Hi moms

Considering moving to NW London or dulwich in SW London. Which area has nicer village feels nd green . Have offers for my DS from schools in these areas . Which areas in NW are more reasonable around 10 minutes the American school in London, are there any? We are looking at a 2000 to 2500 sq foot semi detached house. Is dulwich cheaper in rentals compared to areas in around ASL. Pls advice

LondonGirl83 Wed 12-Mar-14 14:15:44

Dulwich is SE London not SW smile

Dulwich Village has a lovely feel with nice parks, museums, woods the lido, indie shops etc but its impossible to answer your other questions without you being more specific about where in NW London you are considering. Parts of NW will be more expensive than Dulwich and others less expensive. Do you want to be 10 min by public transport from the American school or a 10 min walk / drive?

pandith Wed 12-Mar-14 14:29:18

Hi london girl83. Let me be more specific, I meant 10 to 15 minutes drive from the american school in london at st johnswood. Are there any areas that are more reasonable than the rest, And how do they compare to dulwich area, with regards to rent .

Another factor I need to consider is travel from dulwich or around ASL to bank tube . Which is more faster and convenient . Awaiting your revert .

lessonsintightropes Wed 12-Mar-14 17:41:13

North Dulwich train to London Bridge and walk to Bank will be about 35 - 40 mins from the station, plus the walk to North Dulwich station. Tube from St Johns Wood maybe 25 mins? Not much in it transport wise and Dulwich is a beautiful, peaceful place (north London busier) - but nice cafe culture and parks etc in both. Dulwich College better schooling than ASL for what it's worth, although both good (based on friends' rather than personal experience regarding schools - I've lived in both areas).

LondonGirl83 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:42:49

Okay, the most village style neighbourhoods that close to ASL are Hampstead and Belsize Park but I think both might be more expensive to rent in than Dulwich as South London tends to be cheaper. However, I don't know North London that well so I am sure someone else can tell you about hidden gems.

The Dulwich area has a lot of amenities-- the village high street as well as Lordship Lane high street which has good food and indie shops. The Lido is nearby, there is Dulwich Picture Gallery, the Horniman Museum, Dulwich Woods etc all on your door step.

From East or North Dulwich you can get the northern line to bank as lessons says or you can also go to Herne Hill or Denmark Hill and get to Blackfriars (10-11min) and then pick up the district line to Monument (4 min).

Good luck with your search.

LondonGirl83 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:48:43

Also, indie cinema chain the Picture House is opening on Lordship Lane soon. If you can't tell, I love where I live smile

roslet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:26:54

St John's Wood is too central to have affordable houses to rent within 10 - 15 minutes drive. You can get a nice mansion block flat approx 1000sq feet ten minutes walk away in leafy Maida Vale for about £2500 per month. Houses in St Johns Wood cost many many times this to rent, as a quick look on Rightmove shows.
A drive from West Hampstead to ASL would take a good 15 mins at school run time, but might be your best bet if you do choose this school and want avoid astronomically priced rental houses.

lessonsintightropes Wed 12-Mar-14 22:32:19

What I didn't ask OP is what kind of property are you looking for, and what's your budget? A few of us here work in the industry and could give you better advice if you explained, say, 4 bed house with a garden and off street parking for £1000 per week, or the same for £4000 per week. If your budget is in a lower bracket (sorry, making assumptions about working location and school) then several of us could help with lesser known (but really nice) areas with reasonable transport links and access for school run.

Blu Wed 12-Mar-14 22:55:52

Herne Hill would be very convenient, too - very fast rail links to Blackfriars, cafes, local shops, excellent park (Brockwell Park) with Lido and gym, farmers market, and very easy to the Dulwich schools - a very civilised bike ride, for example. I see loads of kids from the Dulwich schools cycling through Dulwich and Herne Hill.

lessonsintightropes Wed 12-Mar-14 23:06:42

Herne Hill is beautiful and property much cheaper and larger than Dulwich but of a very high standard.

<fantasising about a house I lived in there years ago and wishing we'd been able to buy it>

pandith Thu 13-Mar-14 00:47:57

Thanks all for your reverts, lessonsintightrope we were deciding between ASL and dulwich prep school not the one attached to dulwich college. we are leaning towards closing in on american school in London so we will be looking at areas around the school that are max 15 min drive. Our budget is about 4000 to 4500 per month and we are looking at a spacious 2500 -3000 sq ft house. Not sure in that radius which are the more reasonable rental areas than the rest which will aid in larger space. For those who are familiar with the area Kindly help .. It is most appreciated.

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Mar-14 00:58:53

DCPS in in Cranbrook in Kent!
was that not the one with the head who was into spanking?

pandith Thu 13-Mar-14 01:42:51

Nope I am talking of dcps in dulwich not kent, not the one connected to dulwuch college any personal experience or you've heard will help

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Mar-14 01:49:38

DCPS is in Kent, not Dulwich.
Weird i know.
I did have a friend who went there but she didn't say much.

AgaPanthers Thu 13-Mar-14 02:42:17

DCPS is really in the middle of nowhere.

If you are working in London, and want a day place, it's a bad choice.

Lovely area but the commute would be a nightmare.

Near the American School then your budget won't go very far I'm afraid. Certainly nothing 'Wow'.

If you want a big house, then you will need to get out of London a fair bit. If you want a prep school, then there are many to choose from in commuter areas where you could get a nice house.

E.g.,

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-45209351.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-44614430.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-44942927.html?premiumA=true
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42918682.html

pandith Thu 13-Mar-14 03:18:04

Thanks agapanther, since we are looking at around ASL and our budget is 4500 max, aren't there any areas that a bit cheaper than the rest in a radius of 15 to 20 min drive ? sad( I hope there are some hidden gems.. Let me know. The links you sent are q bit far off.. But thank you once again.

AgaPanthers Thu 13-Mar-14 03:33:41

15-20 minutes drive in London is about a mile! People either walk or take the tube.

The houses I linked to would require you to go for a different prep school. THere are plenty of those.

The school is next to St John's Wood station, which is on the Jubilee line.

Map:

www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/images/general/standard-tube-map.gif

As you head out to Wembley Park and beyond prices drop, but the area is not particularly nice, and the housing isn't particularly great either.

Also you could use South Hampstead, and head out on the Overground. Again the areas here aren't particularly great either, but certainly affordable (4-bed semi for maybe £2,000).

A big luxurious house in a central area will cost £££. Either you can compromise with a small house or apartment, move to a less attractive area, or move out of London and find a school in Surrey or similar area, and then commute into London only for work.

AgaPanthers Thu 13-Mar-14 03:37:35

There are also various ACS schools situated in out-of-town commuter locations. I have no idea on their quality, but the location is more affordable.

www.acs-schools.com/

Eastpoint Thu 13-Mar-14 03:39:26

Go onto a property search website like Rightmove, enter the school's post code and a radius of 2 miles (max) and see what comes up. This house is less than your max budget but not by much & gives you some idea. London housing stock is generally Victorian or older and houses are small.
House in Camden.

pandith Thu 13-Mar-14 03:52:34

Thank you agapanther and east point, I was told golders green, queen park and fortune green around the american school at st johnswood are reasonable areas with regard to rent compared to others, this is what I have heard . Thx once again

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Mar-14 07:15:42

there is no such thing as "reasonable rent" in any part of London any more pandith

LondonGirl83 Thu 13-Mar-14 08:22:54

DCPS is in Dulwich. The OP means she doesn't have an offer from Ducks which Dulwich College's official feeder prep.

With your expanded search area, you could check out Crouch End which does have a village feel. Not sure about commuting to Bank.

The commute to Bank from SE London is pretty easy though. Depending on your walk to the station it could comparable to NW London.

Good luck!

OddFodd Thu 13-Mar-14 09:45:25

This kind of fits your brief: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-40818676.html

Golders Hill Park in Golders Green is lovely (great for kids) and Golders Green itself is pretty family-friendly. You could probably drive from there to ASL fairly easily or the bus is fast.

Or there's this in Brondesbury: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-40166494.html

Probably better off walking to Kilburn station from there and then getting the tube. You could drive it but it can take up to 40 mins if the traffic's bad. You're fairly near Queens Park and it's a nice part of town.

You won't get any closer with your budget unless you seriously cut down on the size of property you're looking for. There are very few big houses in Fortune Green - most of them have been divided into flats. Hendon/Golders Green is better if you're looking for big places

Blu Thu 13-Mar-14 10:29:15

Nigella: In addition to the Kent school there is a completely unconnected DCPS in....DULWICH VILLAGE! HERE. Though the 'junior' site is a bit further up the road on the E Dulwich / Dulwich Village borders.

Easily accessible from Herne Hill, Dulwich Village, E Dulwich - all of which have good transport routes.

NigellasDealer Thu 13-Mar-14 10:30:02

how v confusing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now