Advanced search

Council tenant and want to get them to install a bath

(1 Post)
Sickandtired14 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:23:35

Hi, I'm a council tenant and due to my council trialling new 'flexible tenancies' I am not a life long tenant and can not home swap with anyone who is. Meaning I'm stuck in this flat for a great many years until such time as there are so many of these new tenancies that people will want to swap with me. Anyway, the council flat I'm in has a disabled bathroom with a walk in shower unit. It's awful. The doors leak, the drain has been dropped into the floor and a pump fitted but it never fully drains away and so leaves a small pool of stagnant water sitting there all the time. I have half doors that leak so the bathroom floor gets wet whenever u shower. I have a 19month old and am pregnant with another. We managed up til now in a baby bath but it is too small and I don't know how I'm supposed to cope with a new born and a toddler. I can't put the baby on the floor in the shower.

I want the council to fit a bath but they say they won't as the place was 'sold as seen'. But my argument is I wasn't told any of this. I was not told about being a special trial tenant,unable to swap, and I also wasn't told they would t change it (in fact I was told they would but I would have to go through the process of getting it looked at etc). Is there anyway I can get them to change it? I could be I this flat for years and years. I only expected to be here for a couple and then swap but as soon as I became eligible to swap I was informed of all the new rules and now feel trapped in a flat that doesn't suit my needs.

Any help would be great thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: