Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New build- should we turf garden before or after moving in? Bloor homes

(6 Posts)
freakazoidroid Wed 12-Mar-14 08:03:15

We are buying a new Bloor home and should be moving in May. Should we get the developers to turf the lawn or get someone in when we have moved in?
I am worried they will botch it up and also who waters it etc before we actually move in?

PigletJohn Wed 12-Mar-14 12:56:43

the builders will be throwing bricks and concrete into your garden, tipping sand onto it, and spilling diesel on it from their machine. They like the idea of getting you to pay for a cover to hide their rubbish.

Wait until they have gone before digging out the worst of the rubble and doing it properly.

MissMilbanke Wed 12-Mar-14 13:02:11

I bought a Bloor home a long time ago and it was fantastic in all respects.

They offered brilliant customer service back then and if there were a problem I am certain they would have fixed it. In fact we all had gravel drives with all those hexagon mats in them to keep in place, they all lifted up and Bloor fixed it well after the 12 month 'snagging' period.

Just ask the foreman what the plan is ?

oscarwilde Wed 12-Mar-14 13:24:23

What PigletJohn said. I don't know anyone who hasn't had to dig over a new lawn when it subsides a bit/develops odd bare patches due to a huge concrete brick a few inches down etc.

Given MissM's recommendation - ask the foreman about how they are going to finish it off? It would be nice to move in in May with a nice healthy lawn to sink your toes into so I can understand the temptation

HaveToWearHeels Thu 13-Mar-14 13:31:22

Yeap as PigletJohn says they will just throw down turf on what is there now with little/no preperation. In a few years your lawn will look like mine, totally crap.

Aethelfleda Fri 14-Mar-14 08:18:05

Totally agree. Our 15 year old house has all sorrs of rubble/ lumps in the hedge/under the lawn. We just fish put bits from time to time as it's more practical than re-seeding the whole thing and depriving the DC of the play space for months while it regrows. Definitely get it done after you are in and you can clear it properly (and bill the builders for a skip if you're feeling militant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now