Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Plumbing for an ikea kitchen...?

(19 Posts)
Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 18:08:56

I have read threads recently that imply that if you are having an ikea kitchen (as I am!) then plumbing can be an issue...
Can anyone expand on this?
We are having our kitchen re plumbed anyway do it's not necessarily problem but I would like to know what to ask the plumber to do!
Thanks.

MsHighwater Tue 11-Mar-14 18:11:25

Most non ikea units are designed to leave a space behind for pipes to run by. IKEA ones don't. We have had two ikea kitchens and it hasn't been a problem though I couldn't tell you how it was got round.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 18:12:54

they don't have a service void at the back (they are flush to the wall). so any services need to be either dropped below plinth level or channelled into the wall. dropping below plinth level should be fairly simply.

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 18:13:36

it does mean you get more cupboard/drawer space

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 18:14:52

Ah, I see.
Thank you.
So can I ask the plumber to put the piping for the sink etc below plinth level?

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 18:48:24

Yes, shouldn't be a complicated job she says

When are you having it installed? Are we going through this journey together? We are ripping out on the 7th April :-)

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 19:47:37

Hahaha...we commence ripping ours out the week after!
Being fitted w/c 21st
<wibble>

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 19:53:15

You can learn from our mistakes. My DH is fitting ours and he's an accountant!

TheGreatHunt Tue 11-Mar-14 20:23:57

Our kitchen fitter replumbed the sink (it was only the sink) so it was below the plinth. It was about £50 extra so no issue.

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 20:27:59

Dh is ripping ours out and we are building the units ourselves so we just have to pay the electrician, plumber and fitter.
TGH...our plumbing is the sink and for the integrated dishwasher - nit sure is that makes a difference/makes it harder?
Oh...how I long for my new dishwasher! smile

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 20:41:26

Are you getting any of the Ikea appliances?

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 20:42:39

Yes...the integrated dishwasher, fridge freezer, oven and induction hob.
I'm getting the Pyrolytic oven because I am too lazy to clean it

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 20:44:54

The reason I opted the for the ikea ones is that most of the other brands only come with a 2 year guarantee (even from places like John Lewis) whereas ikea it's 5 years.
I like that the cupboards have a 25 year guarantee too.
because it will be 25 years before it's done again

Mrsladybirdface Tue 11-Mar-14 20:47:01

ohh me too! and we're getting the Combi oven. We've spent ages agonizing over what to do, spent hours researching on Which? but decided in the end the Ikea appliance features were pretty good value for money (as long as they are any good!)

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 20:49:35

I have heard good things about them. I am getting the single oven (have a double ATM which I really don't use). Am very excited about the induction hob! Apparently it cooks things more quickly but uses 40% less energy
brain explodes
I know what you mean about agonising...it's such a lot of money isn't it?
<wibble>

MsHighwater Tue 11-Mar-14 22:24:12

If you are building the units yourselves, can I strongly suggest that you follow the ikea instructions and do not allow anyone who thinks "that can't be right, I'll just do it my way" to do it their way. I narrowly averted an "improvement" to my first ikea kitchen by the guy who was building one of the units which would have ruined the corner unit. Sadly, I wasn't here the day the plumber (who is also our neighbour) insisted on changing the installation of the tap at the sink because the ikea instructions "couldn't be right". DH accepted his expertise and agreed. As a result, the tap is not directly over the plug hole which, while not major, irritates me every time I use it! Changing it would ruin the whole worktop section so isn't an option. Grrrrr!

The instructions, I found, take a bit of concentration to understand but, in my experience, they were always right.

Badvoc Tue 11-Mar-14 22:46:09

Ms....dh has form for that sort of thing tbh!
He will be under strict instructions, don't worry!

Mrsladybirdface Thu 13-Mar-14 15:44:49

Just ordered ours! Changed our minds at the last minute on fronts so are now going for the grytnas.

All the electricals bar the extractor fans are Electralux.

Badvoc Thu 13-Mar-14 16:36:29

Oooh same as me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now